PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Thunderbird cannot connect with ISP.

Oldferix
08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I have installed Mozilla Thunderbird from PC World's August CD and find that although it appears to have installed correctly, I cannot connect to my ISP. Do I need to advise my ISP that I wish to change from Outlook Express to Thunderbird? Or do I need to make the new programme my default email? Or, is there any other reason why I cannot connect though Mozilla Thunderbird? Outlook Express is still connecting without any problems.
Hoping someone can help.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Have you been through the setup wizard and added your account details in?

Did it ask you for your e-mail address, POP3 servers etc?

No ISP notification is required.

Oldferix
08-08-2004, 08:15 PM
The set up wizard appears to have automatically filled in the necessary account details, e-mail address, POP3 servers etc. By checking Tools, Account settings/server settings, everything seems to be correct. Thank you for your reply.

Susan B
08-08-2004, 08:46 PM
For some funny reason I found that Thunderbird needed a little bit of time to "settle in" before it would work for me. Eventually, when I tried to get it to connect, it popped up the password box and once I had entered my email password it was away.

I think it started working after a reboot but I can't remember exactly. I do know that it decided it wanted to play just before I was about to uninstall it. :p :D

One thing to check is that your firewall isn't preventing Thunderbird's access to the internet.

And no, you do not need to contact your ISP in order to change internet browsers, email clients or any such thing. :-)

Oldferix
08-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I tried connecting with and without the firewall. No change. However, I will do as you suggest and wait a while for the program to 'settle down'. Your help is much appreciated.