PDA

View Full Version : My computer game wont work on my laptop!

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 12:10 PM
I especially bought a laptop that had the specifications to run a computer game I have, uru, but when I put the CD in nothing happens. :O
No auto run comes up… nothing.
If I go to the CD drive there is nothing there.
It’s as if the computer can’t read the disk… X-(
There is nothing wrong with the CD as it works on other computers…
Can someone please help me? :(

Jen C
08-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1 :)

Does your CD drive work OK for other CD's ?

ilikelinux
08-08-2004, 12:40 PM
how old is this laptop?
if it is older than 2 years or so, you may need to shove the cdrom drive in extra hard to get it to work.
I have had some experience like that with at least two laptops.

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Yes it dose...

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
The laptop is brand new... I just bought it in April...

Billy T
08-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Is it the original game CD (not a backup copy) and can you check it in another computer?

Also, CDs read from the centre to the outer edge and all of the disk information, table of contents etc is at the start. Make sure that part of the CD is clean. I have found that some drives leak lubricants onto the disk.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Yes it is the orginal disk...
I've tried on 3 other computers and they all work.
and the whole disk is clean (it's brand new).
Also the Demo if the game works on my laptop.

tweak\'e
08-08-2004, 01:56 PM
try to find out what copy protection they have on that disk. unfortunatly some copy protection systems wil not work with certain cd drives. you may need to defeat the protection and make a copy.

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 02:22 PM
But it's not a copy...
And I'm not trying to copy it... I'm trying to install and play it...

Billy T
08-08-2004, 02:50 PM
We know it is not a copy, but some games have protection built in to prevent them from being copied, and that feature is not necessarily compatible with all CD drives.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Murray P
08-08-2004, 02:53 PM
What tweak'e means is that most CD's these days come with some sort of copy protection embedded in them to prevent media changing and....well copying. Some CD RW/DVD drives especially have problems recognising and the CD's copy protection so you will have a problem running the CD. Sometimes a driver or firmware update for the drive will help but, ironically, another way around it is to *cough* make a copy of the CD sans copy protection so that you can play your legitimately purchased game.

However, we tread a fine line, we cannot advocate cracks for illegal copying, that would be very naughty wouldn't it.

Cheers Murray P

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Oh... ok...
So how do I check what protection program the CD has???
If my laptop Dose have a problem with the CD's Protection thingy then what do I do?

Murray P
08-08-2004, 04:34 PM
[url=http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/]CD Freaks[ for your reading pleasure. look under: International Chat: Software related.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
08-08-2004, 04:35 PM
> CD Freaks (http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/) for
> your reading pleasure. look under: International
> Chat: Software related.
>
> Cheers Murray P

Reload, stuffed the link formatting.

KatiMike
08-08-2004, 04:43 PM
wonder if removing the demo version [ which works fine ] may help in installing the full version - I've occasionally had demo/ trial versions of programs/ games clash with full versions . good luck :)

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks... I'll take a look at that web page in 1 minute...
and
I don't have the demo any more... just checked to see if it would word and deleted it after...

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Sorry... but what was I looking for?
tried the web page... was lost after the first page :|

Murray P
08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Start with Guides & Tutorials (http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/), you may need to look at forums as well (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71). try a search of the site or forums for more specific info on your issue.

Cheers Murray P

Amaterian_Angel
08-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi...
I checked a few of the forms out, but they weren't much help and some were using "big" words... I'm not much very computer literate...
I guess I'm stuck... I've already played the game before so I'll survive...
Thanks anyway...
(^_^)

fus1_n
08-08-2004, 06:58 PM
What is the game? you can usually pump it into google: eg. "UT 2003 protection" and some sites say: eg: secureROM *NEW* 4.8X. you can also get ClonyXXL (try google). (I *cough* use that *cough*)

Amaterian_Angel
09-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Ok...
I'll try that...
Thanks...

Amaterian_Angel
11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Ahhhh!!! it happened to another CD!!!
Why??? Why god? Why?!?!?