PDA

View Full Version : 'network solutions' are theives

nzscratch
08-08-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a .com domain registered with Network Solutions and wish to change registrars. The problem is Network Solutions won't let me. They are stalling me at every step of the process. I would describe them as thieving scammers. I would advise anyone thinking of registering a domain with them to avoid registering with network solutions at all cost. They will rip you off.
If anyone knows how to get a domain back from network solutions, please enlighten me :-(

PS I repeat - Network Solutions are theives.

Growly
08-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Are they located in New Zealand?

nzscratch
08-08-2004, 10:42 AM
No, they are in the US. When I first registered the .com domain, there were no registrars in NZ that dealt with .com domains. The only reason I haven't transfered it to freeparking or something, is that they won't let me.

Megaman
08-08-2004, 10:48 AM
what do they actually do?

nzscratch
08-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Well, changing registrars should be as easy as contacting the current registrar for the domain and informing them you are changing to a new registrar. With network solutions, you fill an onlie form to change and get an email with a link to a confirmation. The link does not work. When I contacted them about this, the reply was "yes, the link does work". It doesn't though, I tried it from more than 1 PC, connected via different ISP's, as well as getting a friend to try it from his house....same result - page not found. I then submitted a trouble ticket, to which the answer was " the link does work - ticket closed". I have rung them twice, and they tell me "it has been passed to tech support, you will receive an email soon". Over 24hrs later.....nothing.

nzscratch
08-08-2004, 11:24 AM
I should have mentioned that it's not the first time network solution have done this to me. A couple of years ago I wanted to move another domain to a new registrar, and it took my tech around a month to get it done. I'm not sure how he finally did it, and he doesn't work for me anymore so I can't find out how what he did.
They just don't seem to want to let domains go.

andrew93
08-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Can you put it onto your new host to push the process along? I'm not sure about the .com names but with the .co.nz domain you get some number (forgotten what it is called) but the new ISP took over the domain once I gave them that number - the old ISP had no say in the process. Might be a silly question but have you tried using a different browser to open the link? (sometimes pages won't open for me with some browesers, e.g. gmail won't open with Mozilla for some reason)

nzscratch
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks Andrew, I have contacted the new registrar to see if they can help....and yeah, I tried it in IE6. Mozilla and Konquerer (a linux browser).

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Ah Network Solutions, the pleasantries of dealing with them.

I'm in the process of transferring all our business domains away from NetSol as they come up for renewal due to ongoing problems with them and their appalling customer service and procedures.

That said, transferring the domains should be simple and straightforward and usually takes 3 - 4 days to get done.

The registrar of choice for our company is TotalNIC (www.totalnic.com) - we have several hundred international domains registered with them. Customer service is second to none, and their reminders process etc is great.

To transfer the domain, just cruise along to TotalNIC, set up an account and just request a transfer. They will contact the existing registrar, who will e-mail you, usually within 24 hours. Click the link to confirm the transfer and it's all done - from memory it's about $9.99 US to transfer the domain w/ TotalNIC and that includes the next years registration.

I did just that with a Network Solutions domain about 4 days ago and it went swimmingly.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-08-2004, 02:12 PM
> Can you put it onto your new host to push the process
> along?

Yes, thats how .com transfers are supposed to work.

> the .co.nz domain you get some number (forgotten what
> it is called)

UDAI

> but the new ISP took over the domain
> once I gave them that number - the old ISP had no say
> in the process.

Yup, the UDAI is the 'key' to your domain - anyone with that can cancel it, rename the owner, transfer to another registrar. It's a nicety to let the current registrar know so they can do housecelaning like removing DNS records etc - just because you've transferred it away doesn't cancel all billable services etc.

Growly
08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I've no experience with this, but is there a way you can just... not pay them?

Or have you already paid?

nzscratch
13-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Over a week and I still haven't managed to get network solutions to release the domain. They simply won't let it go. Every step has been a problem.....from the first step of telling them we want to change it (their answer was "we don't have control of that domain" - I had to email them a screenshot proving it before they would even admit they were the registrar!) Every step has been this difficult.
All I can say is DO NOT USE NETWORK SOLUTIONS as a registrar!!!!

Murray P
13-08-2004, 10:09 AM
There are several organisations in the US that you can make a complaint to

BBB (http://lookup.bbb.org/) and check the companies record at BBB Search (http://search.bbb.org/results.html)

Anothet organisation that will accept complaints is the Federal Trade Commission (http://www.ftc.gov/)

I have no idea whether these organisations will accept complaints from non US nationals, give it a try or maybe the threat of a complaint will have the desired affect.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Whats the URL and home base/state for Network Solutions? there are several in the US. If it is the one I think it is they have an aunsatifactory record according to BBB with some very underhand practices like debiting bank accounts without authorisation (they are also in the business of online age/credit verification). BBB Network Solutions Record (http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/C%3A/Inetpub/wwwroot/SouthlandReport/default.htm?hCompID=13078813&hAKAID=5&hAddrID=2) be aware that there are several such named entities. Is this the one? Network Solutions (http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/home.jhtml;jsessionid=2CFNPJGV1TVSOCWLEAMCFEQ?_req uestid=1700440&layoutIdIndex=0&_requestid=1700440)

nzscratch
13-08-2004, 10:13 AM
It is networksolutions.com. Thanks for the complaint info.....I'll look into that now.