PDA

View Full Version : Lost Icon's

Paulmnz
07-08-2004, 06:07 PM

Have a Matsubleh CD ROM and a DVD CDR/W Combo drive.

No problems there.

Today I had to have a new motherboard and power supply installed. That worked fine.

Except that the system could not find my extra drives (CD-ROM's &3.5 floppy - for emergencies).

Of course that was because the IDE cable hadn't been plugged into the M/board.

Fixed that - but now can only access my CD Rom drives via the Computer Management utility.

The update pathway/drive letter function ONLY works if you actually have an icon in the My Desktop window for it to track to.

Currently I have two working drives I can right click on them in the Computer Management\Storage\Disk Management system and either explore or run them from there. (Assigned #'s D & F)

But I can find no way to add them to the My Computer window (and thus access them quickly).

The only My Computer drive icons are my two HDD's (C & E) and A

godfather
07-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Was the replacement motherboard identical to the old one?

If it was not, you may be plagued by all sorts of odd issues, as Windows struggles with the wrong chipset drivers. Usually a reinstallation of XP is required.

I suspect you may have either already reinstalled or it was a (very) similat m/b though as often Windows XP just will not boot after such a transplant?

Perhaps elucidate on what has been done?

Paulmnz
08-08-2004, 07:30 AM
It was a different motherboard. I was offered a choice of 2nd hand identical - or similar new. I went with new.

The previous board had suffered a fatal power spike after the powersupply malfunctioned.

I will definately complete an XP reinstall.

stu120404
08-08-2004, 11:54 AM
> I will definately complete an XP reinstall.

Make sure you do a backup of your computer before you do the reinstall :)

It is better to be safe then sorry ;)

Also have a look at this FAQ on what to backup:

FAQ #7 How do I backup my important files which files should I back up? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25602)

Paulmnz
08-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Roger that!

I use a second HDD to back up stuff that cannot be reinstalled from disk (including saved games etc).

It worked well - Win XP reinstall (upgrade option) didnt lose any of my files and now all is restored.