PDA

View Full Version : Woosh in Christchurch

Graham L
07-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Any takers yet? $199 for a cute little "modem" then $39.95 for 1GB/month (which beats a telecom line plus ISP) or $54.95 for "unlimited".

I don't quite see what bringing truckloads of cold water and building a ski slope in Cathedral Square has anything to do with anything, though. ;-)

Rob99
07-08-2004, 05:50 PM
It's here alright, but only if you live right in the central city, which means just about nobody apart from business will get it.

Murray P
07-08-2004, 06:12 PM
What about cable in Ch Ch, wouldn't that be a better option?

Cheers Murray P

Alasta
07-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Yes, cable would generally be the better option down here, but there are still parts of the city that can't get it. The other disadvantage with cable is that it's ugly and inconvenient to have the cable feed from the street to your house, especially if you don't actually own the property that you live in.

Of course, cable is faster and has lower latency, so Woosh and TelstraClear will probably appeal to different types of customer.

Megaman
07-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Gaaah no reception for Riccarton yet :(

Alasta
07-08-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm in Riccarton too. Is that you having that party down the road? :)

Seriously, I haven't seen a coverage map for Christchurch yet, even though you would expect Woosh to have one on their web site. When I did some experimenting with the 'check you street address for availability' option on the web site, I came to the conclusion that the cutoff point is somewhere between the hospital and Nancy's Corner. I would therefore think that Riccarton will be one of the areas that they will cover in the near future.

-=JM=-
08-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I see they have been handing out promotional free bottles of water with woosh advertising labels. I haven't got one yet though :-(