PDA

View Full Version : Which MB & which CPU

ramu
07-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Could someone please tell me how I go about choosing a correct MB & the suitable CPU.

Another issue. I have a GA-7ZMMH MB that says it will support 1GHz and above. What I have in it is only 95MHz.

When I checked the Gigabyte website for a suitable CPU for this type MB, I found there have been so many MBs under that number with different FSBs. I believe, it starts from 266 or something like that and goes up to 400. The Handbook I have doesn't give a clear FSB rating but under Clock Generator it states up to 141MHz System Bus Speed and I could not find any suitable one for that speed from the list.

So am confused with upgrading the existing CPU to any of them as I fear it may not work. Do you have any idea to give me how I could upgrade the CPU to a higher one or any other alternatives you can think of handling this issue better.

Regards
ramu

metla
07-08-2004, 02:59 PM
hmmm....Only one mobo on the gigabyte site that falls under that model name that i can see.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7ZMMH.htm

Needs to be viewed in IE,Firefox makes a mess of it.

And do you really have a 95mhz cpu?,i presume thats a typo and your running a 950mhz.

Now,imo attepmting an upgade on that board would be a bad idea,anything faster will either not work,or be listed as an unknown cpu,

Which would mean a cpu and motherboard upgrade,which is where we hit snag number 2,You ram is no longer suported by new mobo's and would need replacing.

So you are now faced with spending little money and it being a complete waste,or spending more then you intended.

If you still want to look at new items(but it would have to be mobo,cpu and ram) then say so and we can look into what you want based on intended use and budget.

ramu
07-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi Metla

Thanks to your sound advise. I had a gut feeling of exactly what you said, that I would end up spending money, more than for the plan I explored.

Yes, it is. I forgot to say, it is AMD Duron 950MHz. Your idea of Mobo, CPU & RAM is the best way to think, I agree. I would rather go with this idea.

Cheers
ramu

metla
08-08-2004, 12:23 PM
well then,whats your budget and intended use?

And chances are you will need a new case or PSU as well.

ramu
10-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Metla

Thank you for the messge. Sorry for being a bit late.

I am an absolutely home user. Myself and my children browse through the internet, may be one or two hours or three at the most. And this doesn't happend every day. So with these minimum needs, the PC is going OK. My enquiry was really to explore the possibilities of 'upgrading the speed' of this PC.

Another option is to get a high quality sound hopefully better than I have now. If you do not think we are not talking about striking a deal or business, you may if you like, ask what other things I might be interested in.

Cheers
ramu

Growly
10-08-2004, 09:38 PM
DURON?!?!?!

Mate, you need to upgrade.

Forget the current computer for a bit - save - and buy. You'll feel much better for the next couple of years.

Lohsing
10-08-2004, 09:43 PM
> DURON?!?!?!

Did you read about the part where he said he used the computer for net browsing, etc?

Lo.

Elephant
10-08-2004, 10:05 PM
> Hi Metla
>
> Thank you for the messge. Sorry for being a bit
> late.
>
> I am an absolutely home user. Myself and my children
> browse through the internet, may be one or two hours
> or three at the most. And this doesn't happend every
> day. So with these minimum needs, the PC is going
> OK. My enquiry was really to explore the
> possibilities of 'upgrading the speed' of this PC.
So if your current 950 Mhz, RAM and motherboard are "going OK" why change? You mention the Internet and one or two hours every day.
If you were to change the motherboard, CPU and RAM to a faster machine then this will not help with the internet on a dial up modem for example. If you want the Internet to be faster then you maybe need to get Jetstream or some other broadband like wireless as I have.

> Another option is to get a high quality sound
> hopefully better than I have now. If you do not
> think we are not talking about striking a deal or
> business, you may if you like, ask what other things
> I might be interested in.
You could consider something like an Audigy PCI card.
This will help with the sound and hopefully not break the budget.

If you were thinking that you are going into digital photography and/or scanners then maybe it may be time to bite the bullet and get to a faster CPU.
> Cheers
> ramu

metla
10-08-2004, 10:42 PM
> Another option is to get a high quality sound
> hopefully better than I have now.

I take it you use it to play music?,your best bet is a good set of speakers with a sub,an excellent set of 2.1 speakers will cost around $100 bucks and it matter what sound card you have,onboard sound does fine for general use.

If you do not
> think we are not talking about striking a deal or
> business, you may if you like, ask what other things
> I might be interested in.

heh?

Taking a wild guess at translation....i think your saying,Don't get the idea that we are talking business?

lmao,My opinions are freely given,no strings attached and i believe people should buy local is possible.

Although i do slip from time to rime..............

Growly
10-08-2004, 11:27 PM
>> DURON?!?!?!
>
>Did you read about the part where he said he used the computer for net >browsing, etc?
>
>Lo.

Yes, yes I did. I also had taken that into consideration before posting my ignorant, obnoxious, arrogant, big-headed and over-rated comment.

My point stands: save up and buy a whole new system - it'll be much more worth your while.