PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Software

Sherilee
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Digital Camera - Software
What Software came with your camera - Mine was Camedia 4.1. Not the best.
Any good ones out their gathering dust.

Susan B
07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
A lot of people here do not bother installing the software that came with their camera if they are users of Windows XP as it is not really necessary.

I have a Canon and the only software I use that came with it is ZoomBrowser to transfer files from the camera to computer. Other times I just use drag and drop. For viewing the images you can't go past the free graphics viewer, Irfanview and I use Paintshop Pro for editing.

Apart from ZoomBrowser the rest of the software that came with my camera got the biff.

Gordon.
07-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Can't say I like the camedia software either, I never installed it after seeing it on someone elses system. I have since gone to the fuji for the family but I don't use the finepix software and still using Nikon for work.

I tend to drag all the pictures across to a temp folder for renaming etc using WindowsCommander but windows explorer would do the same and then use Thumbsplus for viewing and adobe photoshop and / or paintshop depending on what i need / want to do with the image.

Infranview would do in place of thumbsplus and it is free as well.

Steve_L
07-08-2004, 04:07 PM
>>What Software came with your camera - Mine was Camedia 4.1. Not the best.

What exactly do you want to do with your photos, after downloading them onto the HD? Just give us more details of what you want, and what you do not like about Camedia 4.1.

nomad
08-08-2004, 01:32 PM
I personally find the windows 2000 plain folder window is fine for cataloguiing. by creating my own folders, and listing them as thumbnails.

photoshop users ver 7 and later has the file manager embedded inside which is also good. thou it does require a lot of horsepower.

other than that, a viewer called IrfanViewer is not bad. v efficient.

i use Nikon View which is a viewer and a cataloguer and basic editer. I bought Nikon Capture which is like a lite version of photoshop. I also have photoshop 6.0. i find you need a cataloguer and a editer. i would still be pretty happy if i had just windows and PS or windows and a basic editor.

mostly you would do color correction, sharpening, rotate, crop.

nomad
08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
when i am transferring files, I use a virtual hard drive set up on "My computer". When the camera is plugged in or the card reader is plugged in, it may be G: drive etc...

this is how I always download files. Thou I use the mem card reader so it s less batt drain and tear and wear on the camera itself. Its faster too.

heaton
08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Paint Shop Pro is one of my favourites. Photoshop is the professionals choice but you need a hell of a lot of learning to master all the things it can do. Depends one how much manipulation of the original image you want to do. Paint shop Pro allows you to alter brightness, contrast, resizing fairly simply plus a whole lot of more sophisticated stuff.