PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Driver update

Slacker
06-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a driver for the NVidia GeForce4 4200 Go video card?

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop, 2.4 GHz, 512 ram running Win XP (home edition). My video card is a NVidia GeForce4 4200 Go (not to be confused withe the Ti card nvidia produce).

I want to upgrade my video driver to a version that supports dx9. Unfortunately NVidia no longer supports this card and the latest driver I have is one supplied from Dell (driver ver. 6.14.10.4487) and it only provides support for dx8.1.

I suspect the only place I will find the driver I seek is an open source one written by a programmer who has a similar problem to mine, ie: he / she was silly enough to buy a dell and didn't realize at the time that nvidia had no plans to provide driver support when dx9 came out (2 months after I bought it).

Alternatively, does anyone know of a video card that will fit into a dell 8500 box that supports dx9? I did contact dell with this same question but after several e-mails and a couple of phone calls I came to the conclusion that I would likely receive a far more helpful, detailed and informative response by asking my cat.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Murray P
06-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Slacker, welcome to PF!.

I can't as yet figure out if your video is integrated or a separate card? nVidia says Integrated Mobile Solutions or similar waffle while another website insists on calling it a card. So, if it can be upgraded and you want to, let Dell do it for you to avoid warranty issues.

Have a cruise around the Guru3d (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=810) site and see what you can find. But if the GPU doesn't support Dx9 I think your out of luck trying to do it with a driver upgrade. There does seem to be the odd Reference drivers floating around, one I saw originated for Toshiba laptops but were being applied much more widely, it might be a case of weedling something out of the net.

Cheers Murray P

CYaBro
06-08-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm with Murray on this one. The support for DX9 would have to be built into the Graphics card (CPU) so even if you could get an updated driver it wouldn't make any difference in that respect.
Also think you will be out of luck upgrading the card in the laptop because most likely it will be built into the mainboard.

CYaBro
06-08-2004, 06:15 PM
> would have to be built into the Graphics card (CPU)
Should be GPU! ---------------------------------^