PDA

View Full Version : IE6 problems - POrt 80 Conflicts - Telnet issues

Jedi2002
06-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi all

I have some issues, I'm sure that it is not the first time someone has posted this question but I cant find it using search.

I can connect through my ISP fine, The connection is not a problem, However regardless of whether im using IE6 or Firefox i get page cannot be found error as soon as I open ether of them, I mean it doesn’t even look like it bothers to search.

So i opened a command line Pinged the site (In this case google.co.nz)
Got a response. I then used telnet - open www.google.co.nz 80
The connection failed. Have a got a Port 80 conflict? Is something blocking my port? how do I resolve this?

This is currently causing me a whole lot of grief so any help here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Susan B
06-08-2004, 02:40 PM
What version of Windows are you using?

Are you running a firewall? If so, check to see that it is allowing your browsers through.

Jedi2002
06-08-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm using windows XP home ED.

I have checked that the firewall setting is off. I thought that this setting was really only limiting incoming rather than outgoing traffic?

Someone mentioned it may be a DNS name resolving issue. I will have a look at that tonight.

Graham L
06-08-2004, 04:20 PM
If you could ping Google's site, you've probably got access to a working DNS server. (Unless you have their IP address cached... ;-)).

Susan B
06-08-2004, 05:10 PM
> I have checked that the firewall setting is off. I thought that this setting was really only limiting incoming rather than outgoing traffic?

That is correct but lots of people use third-party firewalls rather than rely on the Windows one. If that is all you have it would pay to turn it back on pretty smartly. ;-)

Are you using a stand-alone computer? By that I mean is it not on a network? How long have you had the problem? When did it start?

Can't offer any more help, sorry, but others may be able to.

drcspy
06-08-2004, 05:54 PM
run a virus scan, run a spyware scan, re-install the winsock stuff, reinstall Lsp ...run a repair on IE

Jedi2002
09-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Hi all

Wow overwhelmed with all your help thanks heaps. I went home on the weekend and tried the below

1. Tried to Ping another site i haven't got Cached which failed (www.nzcfa.co.nz) which lead me to belive it was DNS However -

2. Did an ipconfig /all and found my DNS servers IP did line up with my ISP's DNS server address

Please excuse my ignorance but how do i reinstall Winsoc stuff and Lsp and run a repair on IE?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-08-2004, 11:52 AM
> Please excuse my ignorance but how do i reinstall
> Winsoc stuff and Lsp and run a repair on IE?

I think before you get to that stage we need a little more information.

Are you running a 3rd party firewall? ZoneAlarm? Norton Internet Security?

When ping failed what happened? Did it resolve to an IP address then come up request timed out, or could it not resolve the host.

Can you get e-mail in and out, or instant messaging and the like (other traffic)?

Jedi2002
09-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi

Answers to the questions -

Are you running a 3rd party firewall? ZoneAlarm? Norton Internet Security? -

No to all

When ping failed what happened?

If i ping an IP address such as my ISP's gateway it replies without a problem. However if i try and ping a webpage name It didnt resolve an IP address at all and timed out

Can you get e-mail in and out, or instant messaging and the like (other traffic)? - I use a hotmail account and Dont use instant messaging.

Thanks

robsonde
09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
sound a bit like your ISp is blocking you.....

have you paid the bill??

my pay to ring the ISP and ask them if there is a problem at there end of things, they can talk you through what ever needs doing to fix it.

Jedi2002
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Ive already talked to them - They reckon everything is sweet from there end. They seem to be as lost as i am.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-08-2004, 02:17 PM
> sound a bit like your ISp is blocking you.....

Unlikely, if you haven't paid an account the ISP would stop you dialling in, rather than let you dial in and then sit there taking up a port with no traffic.

Well it sounds like no traffic at all. Try doing a Winsock Repair in WXP as follows:

How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption Windows XP:

This fix covers a reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol and WinSock socket layers to resolve "no traffic" problems on a computer as a result of a damaged socket layer, or protocols. This is often as a result of a damaged firewall application, botched SpyWare removal or similar.

As usual, I provide this with no express warranty etc - you botch it up then it's your problem. It's worked loads of times before with no problems, if you don't feel up to following the intructions get someone competent or a technician to perform them for you.

If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Consume copious amounts of milk and consult your physician.

Step 1: Delete registry keys

* Open the Registry Editor from the run line. Start --> Run --> regedit --> ok
* Navigate to both of the following keys and then delete the key (folder):
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock2
* Restart the computer

NB: It is important to restart the computer after deleting the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the XP operating system to recreate shell entries for those two keys. If this is not done, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2: Install TCP/IP over top of the existing installation:

* Open the properties window of the network connection. Start --> Connect To --> Show All Connections --> Right-click the Connectoid --> Click Properties --> Select the Networking Tab
* Click Install
* Click Protocol
* Click Add
* Click Have Disk
* Type the path to the nettcpip.inf file and click OK. This should either be: c:\windows\inf or c:\winnt\inf (if you click browse, then attempt to browse to the \inf folder, it may not show up in the list as it is a hidden directory)
* You should now see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list of available protocols. Select it and click OK.
* Restart the computer

This fix will repair any damage to the TCP\IP stack, or WinSock socket layers on the computer. If you have any third-party firewall programs, content restriction programs or other similar pieces of software these will probably need to be reinstalled after performing this fix.

Try browsing now.

Pheonix
09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
If you don't enjoy playing in the registry, LSP fix program (http://www.cexx.org/LSPFix.exe) and Winsock fix program (http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe)
An explanation on what LSP is here (http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm).
Take once and call in the morning :D

Jedi2002
09-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks everybody for your help - i'll try this tonight and see what happens

Growly
09-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Hmmmm -

Try ipconfig /flushdns and ping www.google.co.nz again. This'll make sure that it's your DNS that's a problem.

Then ping www.google.co.nz by IP Address. It is at the moment 64.233.167.199 . If that goes through, then your DNS is broken.

If that doesn't go through - either google's IP changed or your network is more so bung than previously suspected.

Do this if the reinstalls fail. What kind of internet connection do you have? Do you use a modem? ADSL Modem? Router?

Apologise if I missed something - but maybe your end is blocking traffic at a different level?

With most connections you should be able to set your DNS to auto - if possible to this. Then, if it doesn't help, try it manually.

Jedi2002
10-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Hello All

Well it worked - Deleted those winsoc and winsoc2 reg folders and reinstalled TCP/IP protocol. All good Thanks to all of you who put forward suggestions.

Old Tom
10-08-2004, 08:04 AM
And may the force be with you, Luke.