PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 probs

B.M.
05-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Whilst doing a bit of housekeeping a week or so ago I decided it would be a good trick to save the contents of my inbox (Outlook Express 6) to CD and clean out 93megs of HDD space.

Now I wish to recover one E-Mail from the CD but do you think I can open the contents of the CD, not in your life. The files are on the CD ok, represented by the familiar Microsoft Flag, but I canít find any way to restore or open what Iíve saved.

Has anybody any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

tommy
05-08-2004, 02:29 PM
You will have to remove the Read Only attribute from the files you have copied onto your hard drive from the CD.
If you are trying to open an email from a .dbx file you will need to extract all the emails from the .dbx file first using DBXtract. A link to DBXtract is in this thread. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49622&message=294607&q=dbxtract#294607)

B.M.
05-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks tommy, I hadn't read the previous thread.

What a bummer having that much trouble archiving E-Mails.

How about if they have attachments? :(

Peter H
05-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Use eBackup from inachis.com - it costs you, but worth every cent.
Bye

B.M.
06-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Well thatís a few demerit point Billy boy not having a simple way to Archive and Restore E-Mails.

Soooo, for future archiving I need a third party programme I guess. Thanks for your recommendation Peter.

However, this doesnít get me out of the immediate jam of having copied 93meg to disk only to find I canít do anything with it. Iíve downloaded DBXtract but canít get to grips with how exactly to use it. There is no help or read me files accompanying the programme.

The position again is I have copied 500+ E-Mails, some with attachments, to CD and now wish to recover one particular E-Mail. Iíve run DBXtract and it chugged away for half an hour after which time it stopped and there was nothing? It seemed to be recognising what was on disk but I canít find what its done with it.

Someone please turn me around and point me in the right direction! :D

whiskeytangofoxtrot
06-08-2004, 02:04 PM
What size hard drive have you got? Realistically 90 odd MB is 5/8 of sod all in the grand scheme of things.

You've probably got more than that in temporary internet files lying around the place.

.dbx files are a pain in the rear to deal with, usually the best way to get anything out of them is to import them, get what you want, then delete again.

Also, have you compacted your folders in OE? File --> Folders --> Compact All Folders (or something). Any message you delete in OE is still kept in the .dbx file until you compact - attachments and all.

B.M.
06-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Ahhhh yes Whiskey, this ďcompactĒ business. I had noticed that these folders took up miles of space even when Iíd emptied them. So, to get rid of them and recover my lost space Iíve been deleting the whole folder and letting Outlook Express build a nice new one next time itís opened. :D

Yes normally machines have megs of Temp files but this one is pretty tidy as we operate on only a 2 gig hdd so you have to keep your housekeeping up to date. As an aside, this old 233mhz P2 with 256meg of RAM and Win98se is about a quick as a mates new P4 with 256 DDRam and XP which doesnít thrill him much. Anyway, that the explanation for recovering 93 megs of space being basically wasted.

Susan B
06-08-2004, 04:23 PM
A quick and dirty way to get at your emails is to move everything out of the Inbox in Outlook Express (create another folder to move them to) then with Outlook Express not running copy your inbox.dbx file to replace the one on your hard drive. Remove the Read Only attribute, fire up OE and hunt for your email.

When you have finished delete all in the Inbox, compact your folders and you're done.