PDA

View Full Version : DVD player pixelates VCDs

*Sparky*
01-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi all,
I have an LG DVD player, model DC593NW, which is a DVD / VHS combo.
A friend at work makes VCDs from movies he downloads off the internet for his workmates. All the other guys can play them ok on different brands of players, but my LG looks like it has a buffer problem. After about 1 minute of playing fine, the picture becomes blocky and the sound goes jittery. If I pause it and straight away push play, its ok for another minute, then you have to pause / play again. Its almost like its playing faster than it can read it.
Have been in touch with the NZ reps for LG and posted one of the movies for them to try and they said they couldnt get it to play properly either. They dont have any suggestions on how to fix the problem, except to suggest burning them to a gold backed disk instead of a silver one. But why do the other brands play silver backed movie VCDs ok?

Because the machine is 18 months old, does it need to have the latest codecs flashed to it?

This really annoying me as I paid $700 for this machine and the $69 ones from Warehouse or Kmart play them.

Please help. Any suggestions gratefully accepted and tried.

Mrs Bump
01-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Bump

Lohsing
01-08-2004, 05:54 PM
> A friend at work makes VCDs from movies he downloads
> off the internet for his workmates.

[...]

> Please help. Any suggestions gratefully accepted and
> tried.

I'm really torn... I kinda want to say, "Don't watch pirated movies..."

Lo.

Megaman
01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
try another brand of CD-R

kiki
01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
What formats does the DVD player support?

Your friend might be burning SVCDs or XVCDs or something else which your player would be too old to play.

*Sparky*
01-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Not really pirated.
Shared over P2P
Does that make it better?

*Sparky*
01-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi kiki
The manual says, "DVD, VCD, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3s.
Seems to cover everything eh.

*Sparky*
01-08-2004, 09:12 PM
By the way, my friend burns in VCD and SVCD in either VCD1 or 2.
No luck with either.

metla
01-08-2004, 09:52 PM
> Not really pirated.
> Shared over P2P
> Does that make it better?

heh?....i don't follow your logic,They would have to be 100 percent pirated unless they are home movies.

Lohsing
01-08-2004, 10:19 PM
> > Not really pirated.
> > Shared over P2P
> > Does that make it better?
>
> heh?....i don't follow your logic,They would have to
> be 100 percent pirated unless they are home movies.

Lol.... yeah... I was thinking that ;)

Lo.

kiwibeat
02-08-2004, 12:52 PM
buy a $99 dvd player from the warehouse they work well , cheaper is sometimes better

Supertrooper
02-08-2004, 02:20 PM
A lot can depend on the brand of CD-R you are using, some machines don't like reading certain brands, and there are various settings that VCDs can be burnt to as well with regards to bitrate etc - it could be that the bitrate is too high for your particular player.

I'm not one to advocate buying junk from the red shed, but if it works for you, then that's the solution.

metla
02-08-2004, 03:09 PM
vcd has a locked bitrate,svcd is adjustable.

*Sparky*
02-08-2004, 07:21 PM
I think I may have some more info that will help those who know about these things:
The VCDs have been compressed to fit on a 700mb disk.

Is it possible to extract them out to go on 2 disks uncompressed?

kiki
02-08-2004, 07:29 PM
> Hi kiki
> The manual says, "DVD, VCD, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3s.
> Seems to cover everything eh.
>> By the way, my friend burns in VCD and SVCD in either VCD1 or 2.

That looks like your problem right there. The SVCD format isn't supported by your player. You can always try watching some of his plain VCD movies, they should work.

Apparently SVCD is much better quality than VCD, so I would go and get a cheap one that supports lots of different formats.