PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems

Craigb
01-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Hi all
Have done a search on this, and found some threads, but couldn't find anything concrete. Am having to wait, sometimes over a minute to get a response form ISP(xtra). The two little monitors in the task bar will light up when my computer and the ISP are talking (XP). I can go for periods of 5 and sometimes 10 minutes where everything is fine and download speeds are up around 4-6K, then the ISP stops talking to me. The little monitors stop flashing (except the front one, which I assume is me, which blinks on ands off, trying to re-establish contact I think) This can last for 2-3 minutes during which time, downloads freeze, web pages don't completely load or I get the 'Page can not be displayed' message. It is very frustrating. Just want to know if its me or ISP, before I start making phone calls. Also, would a broardband connection(jetwhatever) make any difference.

Cheers
Craigb

Billy T
01-08-2004, 02:49 PM
> Also, would a broardband connection(jetwhatever)
make any difference.

Craig! With Jetstream you will think you have died and gone to heaven.
Get the fastest version you can afford. If you are not a heavy downloader, full Jetstream with a 1GB cap is quite acceptable for cost and there is nothing quite like full speed downloading.:D

I run four computers full time, and two more occasionally, and with all updates and general surfing I have never exceeded 800MB in any month, frequently 650MB or less.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)