PDA

View Full Version : System File Checker / Windows File Protection - XP Pro

Mike
01-08-2004, 09:59 AM
I have a modified Windows system file in my machine, which I would like to stay there. However every so often (occasionally on a reboot) I get the Windows File Protection or System File Checker (I can't remember which) message telling me that a system file has been changed and would I like to insert my original Windows CD to change it back to the original.

I would not like to change it back, so is there a way to either update SFC/WFP to accept the new system file (preferable) or else turn the SFC/WFP off altogether (not so acceptable).

The system file has been updated in both system32 and in dllcache. Is there somewhere else I should have replaced it as well? Before my last reinstall (about a couple of months ago) I never used to get these messages, and I've been using the updated file for more than a year. This install was the first time I've installed using a slipstreamed SP1 XP install.

OS = Windows XP Pro SP1
Replaced system file = uxtheme.dll

Thanks,
Mike.

Mrs Bump
01-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Bump

Terry Porritt
01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Just thinking aloud here Mike..... Those 2 locations, system32 and dllcache are the only places as far as I know that have the protected system files other than the CD.

I suppose you could copy i386 folder to C: drive and then modify the registry to point there rather than the CD.
If you could compress your uxtheme.dll file to uxtheme.dl_ (I dont know how off-hand) and replace the one in i386, maybe you could fool system file checker into thinking it had replaced the overwritten one with an original?

Mike
02-08-2004, 09:02 PM
> Just thinking aloud here Mike.....

Thanks for your suggestion Terry. I'll give it a try, but from what I understand, SFC/WFP looks at "system" files everytime it boots for the Microsoft digital signature, and when it doesn't find one it complains. I think it'll just complain again next time I boot up.

Cheers,
Mike.