View Full Version : Desktop flashing constantly

summertime
29-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Operating Windows 98 SE.
What could be causing this problem?

beetle
29-07-2004, 11:42 PM
May pay to give some more details.

what sort of flashing? the whole screen? colours ? going blank?

any other details you can think of. Monitor make model etc?

beetle

summertime
30-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Sorry.........Genuine Intel x 86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 128 MB Ram 17" monitor Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 Pro.
Problem...........on startup the desktop and any page I load begins flashing. The flashing becomes quicker the longer the computer is on. There are no other colours present the screen just goes blank and then corrects itself.

godfather
30-07-2004, 09:40 AM
You have just described your video adapter card and "generic" CPU description, that's certainly not the name of a monitor.

The monitor is the screen, and it should have a make/model on it.

However I would suggest that a starting point would be to reload the video card drivers.

It could be a hardware fault as well. Did you load any updates or software at the time this started?

Try here for drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_61.76

summertime
30-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Sorry needless to say I am not au fait with all this technology. On the back of the monitor it says it is a Multiscan L7034LD purchased from the PC Company approx 5 years ago. No I didn't download or install any programmes at the time it started flashing. However, the problem has now corrected itself. I am still wondering what caused it in the first place though. Thank you for your patience and help

beama
30-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I fear "loose connection" either in the circuits within or d plug I've never known a self fix monitor or pc to stay self fixed for long. I've had a lot of these (PC Company) monitors fail due to dry connections at least thats what im tld by the people who repair them for me

Graham L
30-07-2004, 04:36 PM
That looks as if the monitor power supply is turning off then on then off ...

It might be temperature dependent. ;-)

summertime
07-08-2004, 01:46 AM
The problem has returned as you said it would. I have checked the power connections and they are fine. I have also installed the latest driver.ie 61.76_win9x_english.exe but the screen is still flashing. Is there anything else I can try? Thank you

Rob99
07-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Is the screen actually flashing or just flickering

summertime
07-08-2004, 11:34 AM
The screen actually goes blank for about 2 seconds and then it comes right and then it just keeps repeating this movement getting faster and faster until it becomes impossible to read anything on the screen at all. This morning it is fine and not flashing at all. No doubt the problem will return soon.