PDA

View Full Version : Will an old harddrive slow down another?

Greg S
29-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Hi. I've just put together a PC using old parts, and have a spare hard drive. I was wondering if I stick it into this PC as a backup drive as Primary Slave will it slow down the PC's perfomance?

Primary Master is a Quantum Fireball (30 BG)
Primary Slave would be a Quantum Bigfoot CY (5.25) 4.3 GB (yeah it's old!)

This machine's raison d'etre is just a backup device to hold data, but is also used for some Word 2003 work.

Greg S
29-07-2004, 05:21 AM
PS ... It also just occured to me to ask if the PSU would cope with the extra drive. It's a 235w unit.

The machine has:
1 x floppy
1 x CD drive
1 x Hard drive
1 x 32 MB video card
512 MB SDRAM

Ta

drcspy
29-07-2004, 05:53 AM
if it's only a backup machine I doublt you'd notice any 'slowing down' at all also in regard to your psu .......that should be fine also cause it's unlikely that you'd be running everythign all at once.......

tweak\'e
29-07-2004, 09:06 AM
>that should be fine also cause it's unlikely that you'd be running everythign all at once

that dosn't make much sence. the hardrive is powered all the time tho power manament can often turn it off when not needed. however it will still be running at the critical time, during boot up.

unfortunatly i can't say if the 235 watt psu is big enough simply due to lack of info about the pc. i doubt that just adding a hardrive would make a lot of difference unless the psu is well under sized.

as far as performance drop goes it is possible. exspecailly when mixing very old drives with new ones. i would stick the old drive on secondary slave as this would minimise any chance of slowing down the main drive.

drcspy
29-07-2004, 09:41 AM
of course it makes sense the cdrom and floppy may not be being used all at the same time as the rest and depending on what you are doing the harddrive and or the cpu will either be largely at rest or running hard out perhaps which of course will demand more power

Murray P
29-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Just a comment on Quantum Bigfoots and the older 1-6GB ones in particular. They should have called them fireballs instead because they regularly go down in flames with very little warning (although the Fireball drives weren't a lot better). So, be carefull what your backing up to it.

You can get a 40GB 7200rpm drive for around the $100 mark which is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm with Tweak'e on this one. Put it on the secondary slave because if you put a HD on the same channel that have different modes the faster one will drop to the slower ones speed.
Shouldn't think your power supply would be a problem. Sometimes in the bios you can set a delay for powering up a HD which would reduce the initial load.

agent_24
29-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Quantum Bigfoot's go up in flames?? OH NO!!!!!!!!

HELP

Greg S
29-07-2004, 01:37 PM
> Quantum Bigfoot's go up in flames?? OH NO!!!!!!!!
>
> HELP

I shouldn't be too worried - this drive was in my missus's old machine and it ran flawlessly for years.

Thanks all for the advice.

Greg S
29-07-2004, 01:40 PM
> I'm with Tweak'e on this one. Put it on the
> secondary slave because if you put a HD on the same
> channel that have different modes the faster one will
> drop to the slower ones speed.

In that case should I keep the CD drive as Master on the Secondary?

> Sometimes in the bios you can set a delay for
> powering up a HD which would reduce the initial
> load.

That's a good tip. Ta

agent_24
29-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Lol, yea i suppose so - i have one in an old 486SX which has probbly been going for ages and it seems allright still...

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 06:18 PM
>In that case should I keep the CD drive as Master on the Secondary?
Yes.

Growly
29-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Adding an old hard drive will affect in two ways:

1) If you back up to it, it will be slow.

2) The rest of the system will run much slowly if you use the current hard drive and the old hard drive at the same time. This is because the slower bus speed and the time taken for the IDE controller to access and get data from the second hard drive.

Mzee
03-08-2004, 12:39 AM
I have two Quantum Bigfoot drives which have been in several computers and are both in good working condition. On the other hand I have had two Maxtor 40 gig and one 40 gig Samsung drives pack up in the past 2 years.
There is no certainty when it comes to drives, but logic tells me that a drive running at half the speed of a modern one, & a fraction of the capacity, has got to be far less stressed :)

Murray P
03-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Some historical hard drive reliability info from a data recovery company, DriveService (http://www.driveservice.com/bestwrst.htm). I guess as long as nothing critical is on the drive you may as well make the most of it.

Cheers Murray P