PDA

View Full Version : Firefox on laptop

jcr1
28-07-2004, 07:40 PM
I've posted about this subject in the recent past, but still no progress.
Following is the text of an e-mail I sent to Daniel Meissler who wrote an article warning about the pitfalls of IE.
Following that is his reply to me:

>> I have tried to get Firefox and Mozilla working on my laptop, but no
>> go and I suspect that the problem is something to do with my network
>> or proxy server, but I'm stumped as to what settings I should change.
>> The funny thing is Internet Explorer and Maxthon (was MyIE2) both work
>> perfectly well. I don't see this as an endorsement of these products,
>> in fact I suspect, just the opposite; an indication that perhaps
>> security is a lot sloppier with IE than with Mozilla type browsers.
>>
>> Would you have any comment about my observations?

I'd say you may have some sort of proxy being given to IE that you need
to put manually into Mozilla/Firefox. Maybe fire up a sniffer and see
if IE is talking to another proxy that you need to put into your other
browsers.

Good luck to you,

- --
Daniel R. Miessler, CISSP

I looked up "sniffer" on Google (funny thing it wasn't in my Penguin Concise Dictionary of Computing, which I keep on my desk) but I'm wondering what would be a good one to go for, for my purposes. i.e. what he was recommending I do.

Laura
29-07-2004, 05:06 AM
bump

jcr1
29-07-2004, 09:14 AM
What is bump?

metla
29-07-2004, 12:04 PM
The opposite of a dip.....

metla
29-07-2004, 12:08 PM
To see if IE is running through a proxy,click on tools,internet options,connections,settings,the box that opens will have the on/off switch for a proxy,if its enabled click advanced,and take a note of the settings,transfer these into firefox.

Having said that i would find it hard to believe you could be running a proxy and not know about it.

Sure you don't just have a firewall running thats set not to give alerts,hence not giving firefox access to the net and not telling you about it?

jcr1
29-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Yes, I am running a proxy, AnalogX, and that's how I'm doing my internet connection sharing. I have in the past, transferred the settings to Firefox, but still no good. Done the same thing with Mozilla too and it didn't work either.
Funny how IE & Maxthon work though?

Thought I'd looked at the firewall issue as well, but I might have another look, one never knows.....

Mozilla works fine with the desk top machine, the one with the internet connection. Had a bit of bother to start with; but found it was just HTTP networking settings.

Anyway, thanks metla, guess I'll just soldier on, I'm bound to get it one day.

Graham L
29-07-2004, 03:45 PM
A "sniffer" is a programme which watches a network and sees who is saying what to whom. Ethereal is a popular one,which runs on Windows. tcpdump is an older *nix one which I often use.

I was amused to see all the passwords flying by when I first ran one in about 1980. ]:)