PDA

View Full Version : Win XP + HP5100C

robc
28-07-2004, 07:06 PM
I have a Asus Laptop running XP Pro and a HP5100C scanner. I used the scanner this a.m. and it worked fine. this afternoon I tried to use it again and it gave me allsorts of grief such as not being able to see the scanner.
I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. the computer recognises it it gets halfway through a scan and the computer shuts down. Uninstall and re inst... again and get a message that invites me to try again or cancel as it cannot read the picture.
Does this sound like H/Ware failure or drivers?
Does anyone have a solution to this one?
All input greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

Gorela
28-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi Rob,

I would have said that it was a driver problem as it sounds exactly like the problem I had when I tried this same model scanner on Win2K. Still works fine in Win98, but I could never get it to operate with any other Windows OS.

The only problem with this idea is that you said it was running fine this morning on the XP computer.

Have you installed any Windows updates in between that may have caused the driver to break?

andrew93
28-07-2004, 10:40 PM
you could try here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=61840&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us) for general HP support for this scanner or here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=61840&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228) for the XP drivers.

HTH
Andrew

robc
28-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys. No I haven't updated anything since this a.m. I will try the HP site and the Windows update site to see if there might be something there.
It seems odd. but I remember when I first got this 'puter that I had a problem with it when I was trying to install the Scanner. I am Hoping that it is just the drivers but I hate it when the computer just crashes.
I get back to you.

robc
28-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I tried the scanner again and got an error ox80040A01. searched on the HP website and got a "never heard of it message".
Time to try Microsoft

JJJJJ
29-07-2004, 05:59 AM
I think it is probably a driver fault. I had exactly the same problems with the 5100c. It worked fine with win 98, but used to play up with xp. Looks like it was designed for 98 and their updated xp drivers were not quite right.
I have switched to HP 3670 and no problems at all.
Jack

robc
29-07-2004, 10:08 AM
yeah, I'm picking drivers as well. I looked at the driver site recommended by someone on this thread (sorry can't see your name right now) but it only had drivers for people upgrading from 98 to XP. Not for a new computer. Any ideas?

robc
29-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Andrew93 thanks for those sites.

andrew93
29-07-2004, 03:21 PM
this (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=61840&sw_lang=8&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&os=228&softwareitem=sj660mu) one might be what you are looking for - read the instructions as recommended at the top of the page - it sounds like your scenario (fresh XP install for the 5100c)

robc
29-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks Andrew, I read this but only the first paragraph. I fyou read the whole lot it makes a bit more sense.
I'll give it a whirl.
Cheers
Rob

robc
29-07-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't know if I am missing something, or am just really thick but there doesn't seem to be a driver update for XP.
see the text below copied from the HP site.

If you purchased a new computer with Windows XP pre-installed or have completely removed your previous version of a Windows operating system and have loaded the full version of the Windows XP operating system, you should verify that there is a full version of the HP PrecisionScan software available for your new Windows XP operating system. If the software is available, install that software.

If the full HP PrecisionScan software for your HP ScanJet scanner is not yet available, HP suggests using the Windows XP - WIA software driver that is built into your PC, until the HP PrecisionScan software for Windows XP is available for downloading or ordering from this web site.

Customers that have products that are not supported with the built-in WIA driver on the Windows XP operating system, or would prefer the full featured HP Software solution for Windows XP, may follow the steps listed here:

1/ Disconnect the scanner from the PC if it is connected.
2/ Download and install the latest version of the HP Scanning Software for the scanner for Windows 2000 Pro.
3/ Download and install the HP ScanJet scanner update for Windows XP from here (here being a link)
4/Reconnect the scanner to the PC and let it plug and play.

andrew93
29-07-2004, 11:40 PM
> I don't know if I am missing something, or am just
> really thick but there doesn't seem to be a driver
> update for XP.

I agree - it is confusing, so this is my take on the instructions :

> see the text below copied from the HP site.
>
>
> If you purchased a new computer with Windows XP
> pre-installed or have completely removed your
> previous version of a Windows operating system and
> have loaded the full version of the Windows XP
> operating system, you should verify that there is a
> full version of the HP PrecisionScan software
> available for your new Windows XP operating system.
> If the software is available, install that software.

Not applicable - there is no s/w available

> If the full HP PrecisionScan software for your HP
> ScanJet scanner is not yet available, HP suggests
> using the Windows XP - WIA software driver that is
> built into your PC, until the HP PrecisionScan
> software for Windows XP is available for downloading
> or ordering from this web site.

On the assumpton WIA (whatever that is) is a no go, read on

> Customers that have products that are not supported
> with the built-in WIA driver on the Windows XP
> operating system, or would prefer the full featured
> HP Software solution for Windows XP, may follow the
> steps listed here:

Ok - sounds like what needs to happen

> 1/ Disconnect the scanner from the PC if it is
> connected.

Disconnect the scanner and uninstall whatever s/w you have loaded

To be safe, restart the PC

> 2/ Download and install the latest version of the HP
> Scanning Software for the scanner for Windows 2000
> Pro.

try this (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=61840&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=181&softwareitem=sj269en)

again, to be safe, restart the PC

> 3/ Download and install the HP ScanJet scanner update
> for Windows XP from here (here being a link)

from here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=61840&os=228&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=sj660mu)

> 4/Reconnect the scanner to the PC and let it plug and
> play.

And hopefully that will work

robc
30-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks Andrew,
I read that and got a totally different message to the one you have read. I will give it a try.
Rob

JJJJJ
30-07-2004, 02:38 PM
The drivers you have downloaded appear to be an update from the earlier win 98 drivers.I notice the size is only 500k. The full program was from memory about 30/40 Mb.
I remember installing them when I first got XP. And they didn' work. I installed the win 2000 drivers and they worked occasionly. I know HP later put the full program on their web site, but they seem to have been removed.
I would suggest getting in touch with HP and asking if they have the updated drivers on disk.
Jack

theother1
31-07-2004, 12:08 AM
thanks jack,
I will do that as well. Either that or chuck the scanner and get a new one.
Robc