PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need cellphone opinions

Megaman
28-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone.

In about 2 weeks I have a debate against another High school. The moot is "That we're better off without cellphones", and we're the affirmative.

Could I get some opinions from you guys about why you think sosciety is better without them? Any would be greatly appreciated, and ones that relate to Cost, Health risks or Distractions would be best.

Thanks, MM :)

Lohsing
28-07-2004, 05:38 PM
1. The art of conversation becomes lost as we are 'dumbed down' with text messaging.

2. Cost is expensive to run a cellphone, while other people in 3rd world countries starve.

3. Terrorism is aided by cellphone communications

4. Impact of cellphone radiation on men's health. Brain tumours, etc.

5. Using a phone while driving becomes hazardous.

6. Lack of privacy with new camera phones

7. Peer pressure on today's youth to have the latest and greatest in cellphones.

How about those?

Lo.

metla
28-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Im gonna go way off here and say..

Cellphones do not make us better or worse off in any way,a law to outlaw them would though make society worse off.

Bringing down the establishment 1 pirated DVD at a time.

Ghetto Superstar Style Booyeeee.,

Lohsing
Operating a cellphone in a petrol station can lead to explosions (apparently).

Operating a cellphone in a plane can disrupt the plane's navigation controls.

The notion that a cellphone allows parents to keep a tab on their kids is a fantasy with Caller ID, and kids able to go out later and further away because of the cellphone. This leads to a breakdown of the family.

Regards,

Lo.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
Oh geez... how could this be hard?

Add this to the list:

Common Sense

Don't feel stupid if you say that. I have had witnessed debates where this had been used, not only cellphone, but computer games, etc. It sure did make a lot of impact on the other side.

nzStan
28-07-2004, 05:52 PM
My two contributions.

ONE
Years ago when I went on my honeymoon, I picked a really remote place in Indonesia where there weren't any phones at the motels/hotels we stayed in. On the fifth day we finally got to a 5 stars hotel where there was a telephone and yes.... I made the big mistake of phoning back to the office.

Today - no matter where I go, the office (cellphone) goes with me. Nowadays I try to pick places where there are no cellphone coverage (there is a spot at Tutukaka where there are no 021 coverage - great place to have a holiday).

TWO
Year ago you could attend a solemn occasion without being disturbed by cellphones. To date I have seen cellphones ringing in the middle of a sunday church service, at weddings and yes, even once at a funeral.

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 05:57 PM
> (there is a spot at
> Tutukaka where there are no 021 coverage - great
> place to have a holiday).

nzStan there are quite a few great places up here in the Winterless north (yea right!) where there is no cellphone coverage (Vodafone or Telecom) unless you can get to the top of a hill and hold your cellphone at the right angle with your tongue in the right place.

As for the debate, I hate it when you are at the movies and someones phone rings or even just gets a text message.

metla
28-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Hmm..... $5 bucks a lesson ill teach everyone how to turn off their cell phones, which will make the "I can't go on holiday" theory as bogus as it sounds, You actually have to make a conscious effort to grab your cell phone and take it with you, its not like its stapled to your lip.

You rang the office on your honeymoon?????

Just to see if Grayhound hadn't gone under in your short absence?

robsonde
28-07-2004, 06:05 PM
they can find you anywhere....

this can be good or bad depending on what you think....

what is this doing to the world??
it is helping the world become a 24/7 world, any time any place.

do we want a 24/7 world??

do we have a choice in this??

think about that........

as for what the cellphone is doing to people and the world we live in??

stress.

we are spending $$ on geing toys that let us spend more time on makeing more $$

i do think that a few people NEED cellphones but in the big picture i think the most of us could live with out, do we want to live with out?? thats the big question.

as for helth? , we have to die of something........

please note that the above is only the drunk thoughts of a mad man :)

nzStan
28-07-2004, 06:13 PM
> Hmm..... $5 bucks a lesson ill teach everyone how to
> turn off their cell phones, which will make the "I
> can't go on holiday" theory as bogus as it sounds,
> You actually have to make a conscious effort to grab
> your cell phone and take it with you, its not like
> its stapled to your lip.

Very easy for you to say. Very hard in real life for me where I am on call 24 x 7. I just returned from two weeks holiday overseas and I was still contactable by the directors and senior managers.

>
> You rang the office on your honeymoon?????
>
>
> Just to see if Grayhound hadn't gone under in your
> short absence?

I was much younger then. And yes, I wanted to check on my project team.

pulling hair out
28-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi,

Like cars and any other equipment out there, it is not usually the actual piece that is really bad, its the way people use/abuse them that is the problem. Oops, that doesn't help ?:|

The fact that these people continually have them attached to their ears show they really do have a dependency problem. Is the world really going to stop if they don't make that call.

Ask them if they realise how funny they look, when one cellphone goes off and all these people rush to grab their phones from their pockets/bags.

I had to get one in case I have a repeat health incident and need help fast. Am still here today because I was just around the corner from my Doctor's surgery.

Its strange that they all rush out to get one and then spend the next few days working out how to stop calls coming through that they don't want.
Like getting a computer for your personal programs, and spend more time downloading virus , adware, etc programs and updating them all the time.

A relative of mine had his stolen, so his sister sent multiple texts to the cellphone to keep it full up and stop the person who stole it from being able to get his/her messages without scrolling through all of her abusive ones.

Whether or not you find in the end you can't convince on points that they are bad for you, you are still right...not the winner....but still right.
Good luck,
Marg.

metla
28-07-2004, 10:17 PM
> Very easy for you to say. Very hard in real life for
> me where I am on call 24 x 7. I just returned from
> two weeks holiday overseas and I was still
> contactable by the directors and senior managers.

Indeed, But thatís the beauty of the internet, Wise ass people such as myself making off the cuff statements, Personally Iíd smash the phone in that scenario...Just one of many reasons I don't hold a job such as yours, I never have managed to see eye to eye with a manager on any level...And making eye contact with a director was always a case for 50 lashes and job termination.....

mikebartnz
28-07-2004, 11:04 PM
What it is doing to the written language is one. I refuse to help any poster here who is too lazy to type proper english instead of text typing.

Zippity
28-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Cell phones cause constipation and acne.

Why not? They get blamed for everything else :)

Laura
29-07-2004, 12:27 AM
It seems to me the affirmative side should emphasis the stress angle.
That is, Once upon a Time, it was possible to have a break & get away from it all - even if you had either a high-stress job with many responsibilities or just wanted a break from the family (Examples of WHY to be provided by you here. Some humour wouldn't hurt...).
But now employers expect that *on call* means you HAVE to carry a cellphone - to be found/available anytime and anywhere to make decisions, give advice or rush back to the workplace.
Some of my favourite spots when I was a daily journalist were small towns whose old-time pubs had one phone only - and the owner/barman asked me at each call whether I wanted to be found...
The best jobs, though, were on islands - even if called to a phone. It's amazing how temporarily stroppy you can get with a boss when looking out over the stretch of water which divides you.
I can't imagine what it's like having to be constantly accessible to whoever wants to talk to you NOW, whether you feel like talking or not.
(Yes, I know most people can turn their cellphones off, but this is a debate, after all.
You need to make your points so well that they overcome such comments from the other side.)
Good Luck.
Don't forget to tell us later how it went...

Murray P
29-07-2004, 01:07 AM
I agree completely with those that say the ability to be contacted at any time 24/7 has increased workloads, stress and expectations of what can be accomplished in a working week (ha!) than what was the norm before cell phones became an established piece of equipment (far more than the computer has done in the same timeframe).

The fact that 24/7 contact is now written into so many contracts is in my opinion (indicative) proof of the increased expectations and load that is placed on those in project management and customer services type work, in particular. Rather than employ more people you can run fewer ragged covering more ground for the cost of a hefty phone bill.

You can never quiet get entirely away from the workplace and therefore totally relax while the cell phone is part of your kit and job description.

It is how people use them that causes the downside to an essentially good idea but, then many people don't have much choice in there usage.

Cheers Murray P

metla
29-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Ihave a cunning plan, it involves wiping out idiots and management, therefore removing those that would mis-use cell-phones and improving society in one swoop,

And we could then re-animate their bodies and use them to fight terrorism and Satanists.

Whoa...I need to play a few less video games...

metla
29-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Oh,Feel free to use the bit about re-animating the dead for your debate,it will stun them into defeat.

Laura
29-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Omigawd Murray
It seems I got out in time...
The 24/7 was written into my contract well before cellphones were part of the obligatory kit in the job description..(Age showing here)
Mind you, I was never part of *project management*.
That's got a ring to it implying big bikkies for being chained to the phone... raking in enough to make up for lack of home life & privacy...in other words, fat cats with compensations.
(Down this way, the term was first heard relating to huge hydro dams.built by the old Ministry of Works. To communities in Otago & Southland, each was *The Project*.
Now every sizeable firm's got one to be managed...)
But many of those on call in *customer services* nowadays don't get much to compensate for their lack of certainty that they can go home & leave work behind until tomorrow
And the cellphone has a lot to answer for that....

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 02:27 AM
>small towns whose old-time pubs had one phone only - and the owner/barman asked me at each call whether I wanted to be found...
I worked in a pub in England and there were a group of doctors and nurses that would come in on a wednesday after work to relax before going home. Anyway I answered the phone one day and using my own sign language asked if a certain doctor wanted to talk to his wife. Instead of using sign language back he yelled out to me. She heard and within minutes she was down there. That ruined his wednesday nights out.

andrew93
29-07-2004, 03:09 PM
plus have you seen this (http://xtramsn.co.nz/entertainment/0,,3909-3554182,00.html)

Murray P
29-07-2004, 03:49 PM
No txt or internet on those phones Andrew, would any self respecting kid use one. An RFID tag through the ear would be much more practical IMO, you could even derive a bit of satisfaction putting them in given todays PC driven world ie. sanctioned ear clipping :O

Laura, lol, I wish I did get big bucks compensation. Not big projects but several on the go amounting to a mill or so turnover per month and, with most decisions impacting on budget. Unfortunately I couldn't persuade the organisation to spend a little money to save more (& make my job easier) by emplementing systems that would enable it (me) to be less reactive. So really the job description was project supervisor and not manager. Nevertheless could still clock up 1400 mins of calls in a month.

Talking of Otago "Projects" my brother was on the Clyde from wo to go and my father had a bit to do with some dam and a tunnel down that way too.

Cheers Murray P

tech
01-08-2004, 12:16 PM
I dont have one and never had. Don't need one either.
When I am asked for mu cellphone number and tell people I don't have one they look at me like I am handicapped or alien or something.
But why would I possibly want to have to answer a phone when I'm out?! It's bad enough being interrupted at home.