PDA

View Full Version : sneaky dialers

kings
28-07-2004, 02:42 PM
I have never had any unwanted dialers on my computer and never had to pay for calls that are not my own.I run AVG and keep it up to date as well as Zone Alarm and have set Google as my home page and set the popup blocker that Google offers.I have a dial up connection and turn off the PC when I leave the house.Should I have more security as I dont want any dialers to connect me to overseas sites and get a large toll bill?I received a letter from Clear the other day warning users about this. I have just done a test on the internet and all my computers ports are secure and it said I was invisable. Any comments welcome Thanks.

Rob99
28-07-2004, 02:48 PM
You might like to have both Spybot 1.3 and Ad-aware 6 as these will detect the spyware you should be worried about.

Rob

beetle
28-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi ya

as far as i am aware Dial up is the only type of connection affected, so the best defence is turn off your computer and unplug the cable to the phone jack when not in use.

you can also riing up telecom and put a block on 0900 numbers from your phone line, this helps ease the mind as well.

not sure of any other methods sorry.
just keep all firewalls, and virus progs, spyware progs up to date and checked often.

beetle

Oxie
28-07-2004, 03:03 PM
kings

You might consider getting Telecom to block 0900 calls, as we have done. Read here (http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,20849-202111,00.html) for details.

Oxie (Lyn)

johnboy
28-07-2004, 03:41 PM
This is a good page about helping to stop these things installing
here (http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm)

Jim B
28-07-2004, 04:17 PM
You did not mention windows updates, this is important if you are using Internet Explorer. If you want more security use another web browser.

Blocking 0900 numbers on your phone line is not effective as these dialers also dial international toll numbers.

Elephant
28-07-2004, 07:17 PM
> You did not mention windows updates, this is
> important if you are using Internet Explorer. If you
> want more security use another web browser.
Well you can of course. Then we will get a certain web page will not load properly using a certain browser possibly.

> Blocking 0900 numbers on your phone line is not
> effective as these dialers also dial international
> toll numbers.
This is true to a point.

The main reason that people get dialup problems is that quite a few people will get onto a site and download various FREE software. This sort of activity may well get you a trojan dialup and may cost you a phone bill.

Always keep antivirus ( of whatever variety ) installed and up to date on your computer. This may not stop a trojan dialer.

For years I had a dialup modem on the computer I have through Xtra but changed to a wireless ISP within the last year. The modem has been removed from this computer. Downside is that I had to install a firewall as well.

I only remember getting one virus on my home/work computer during 1982. This happened as I used to input work items from the Home computer and the Boss input the pay on a floppy disk. Inadvertently I left the floppy in the A: drive and rebooted and got the weed type virus. The cannabis one.

Forgot how to spell Marijuana or whatever.

Go change the Operating system to what you want. Go change the browser. You can also change the Email client. You can also change your computer supplier and go get an Intel vs AMD CPU. Then we can think about video cards ad nauseum.

The main point I am trying to make is that YOU are the Customer with the money. Over a period of time you will learn as all people here on PressF1 have.

In the final bit you are the one with the money and you are the one who has to learn.

One browser or Email client is only better than another in one way.

Do you know how to use it and does it work for you?

I must admit that hardware is a little different.