PDA

View Full Version : Xandros Advice

i-gordon
28-07-2004, 02:35 PM
I have Xandros installed on a older computer P3 733Mz that had 5Gig to spare on the Hard Drive. I partitioned this space using Partition Magic to a 1.4 Gb / root partition, 1Gb page file. and 2.6Gb Home. After a few false starts I'm up and running. Great, Luv it. However installing a few additional programs & updates I notice that the root partition is getting a bit full. Should I reduce the page file and increase the root partition or is it possible to lighten up Xandros by removing some of the eye candy. I notice there is about 150 screensavers, I just use blank. All the different styles and icon themes must be using up heaps of MBs. Any other ideas?

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Check in /var/apt for cache files of the updates

Things like OpenOffice if you dont use it.....

Im not too sure what else there is. Screensavers are only 2-3MB each. Your root partition can get pretty full - as long as you've got about 5MB in /tmp for X to start, and some space in your /home partition you should be good. Icons / Themes again are minimal sorry....

Hope this helps

Chill.

i-gordon
28-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks Chill
I have already uninstalled Open Office picked up 220 MB. How do I uninstall the screensavers, that would probably be enough. Can I just delete the the screensaver folder or the contents.

Graham L
28-07-2004, 04:26 PM
The 1 GB swap space is excessive. Try running top in a terminal window, and see just how much the swap is used. You will often see the amount used as "0". :D

i-gordon
28-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks Graham,
With 2 browser windows open and music playing the usage was 18737kb
What size do you recommend.

Jen C
28-07-2004, 05:58 PM
> What size do you recommend.

It is normally set at twice the installed RAM. However if you already have 512 MB of RAM, I just would leave the swap at 512 MB as well which should be plenty. Not sure how one resizes the swap partition to release space to the / partition while keeping the OS intact. Never tried this myself :D

i-gordon
28-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jen for your input I have 256Mb Ram so 512Mb would be about right. Changing size of partition with Partition Magic is easy as it handles linux partitions with ease, it really is magic. I have Windows ME with Partition Magic installed on another hard drive in the same box, it takes about an hour or more but nothing gets lost.
Any ideas on getting rid of the screensavers seems like 150x 2Mb is a good space gain. I have located the folder with the screensaver files but there must be more involved than that because the folder is only 10.5Mb

Murray P
28-07-2004, 07:01 PM
I have just deleted the swap partition from Windows 2k and remade is using QTparted in Mepis Linux (a Debian based distro as/Xandros), it was just unallocated space. Mepis didn't seem to mind a bit but I made sure Qtparted was the only app running at the time.

It's a long story why I needed to do this and why I did it this particular way, I'll leave it at that at the mo except to say that I learned a bit about discperf and those hidden drivers in Device Manager Jen while I was troubleshooting a windows hissy fit.

Cheers Murray P

Jen C
28-07-2004, 07:22 PM
> I have just deleted the swap partition from Windows
> 2k and remade is using QTparted in Mepis Linux (a
> Debian based distro as/Xandros), it was just
> unallocated space. Mepis didn't seem to mind a bit
> but I made sure Qtparted was the only app running at
> the time.

Well I have accidently deleted the swap partition once, the Linux OS I was running at the time didn't seem to mind at all ... just haven't resized it :p

> Any ideas on getting rid of the screensavers seems like 150x 2Mb is a good space gain. I have located the folder with the screensaver files but there must be more involved than that because the folder is only 10.5Mb

My screensaver directory /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver is only 12.5 MB so your 10.5 MB sounds about right.

I wouldn't just go deleting the folder or its contents as I am not sure what else ties into it, but have you tried using the Xandros Network to see your installed KDE packages and then use that to uninstall any additional screensavers. Just be careful you don't uninstall anything vital that KDE requires :D

Xandros doesn't come with 1001 app's like some distro's, so for the little space you gain from this might not be worth it. Have you considered giving up some more Windows partition to the Linux one?

i-gordon
28-07-2004, 10:56 PM
> Have you considered giving up
> some more Windows partition to the Linux one?

This Computer is one of 3 networked boxes on a LAN, I am using the spare disk space for backup so I don't want to give up any of the windows space until I get a new big hard drive, then I will eventually give the whole 20Gb drive to Xandros. At the moment Linux is a learning thing for me.
I have tried Knoppix CD. Mandrake 9.1 & 10.0. Xandros is the only one that has installed without some compatibility problems like sound and network, and I've tried all of them on all the boxes over a period of 9 months and I gave up. It was only when I got this magazine version of Xandros I decided to give it one more go and everything worked, I'm impressed, and looking forward to a linux experience.
I've completed the resizing of the partitions and I now have 745Mb free on the /root partition.
Thanks for the help everyone