PDA

View Full Version : Copying a DVD to an HD

naughtyboy
28-07-2004, 01:04 PM
What s/ware or h/ware do I need to do this ?

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 01:12 PM
You will need to have a DVD drive in your PC and this (http://www.dvdshrink.org)

robo
28-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Of course, this is only for archival purposes, yes?
robo.

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Yes, I want my grandchildrens grandchildren to watch my.... err.... Home movies?

;-)

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Yea, I use it to put all my DVD's on my PC, which is networked with my modded xbox which is plugged into my tv.
That way I can watch a DVD without fiddling around with the actual discs, which are stored safely away. :D
Xbox Media Centre rocks!

robo
28-07-2004, 03:56 PM
You're using an xbox as a media center pc?
Interesting.
Definitely want to know more.
robo.

Pete O\'Neil
28-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Theres two ways of copying a DVD to your HDD.

a.) use a program such as Virtual Dub and a combination of Video and Audio codecs to extract and compress the DVD.

Benefits: Considerably smaller than a DVD from 650mb+
Cons: Time Consuming

b.) use a program to rip .vob files from the DVD and use a vob player to play them, simarly you could rip an .iso of the DVD and use a program such as Daemon tools to mount it and then use it like a DVD.

Benefits: relatively quick and easy
Cons: the outputed file is huge within a few mb's of the size of the actual DVD

Option A is widely regarded as the way to do it, but does take a while to compress the video (using Divx, Xvid etc). Check out http://www.doom9.org/ for more infomation its really good and has step by step guides. You can get programs that do all the work for you such as DVDshrink but doing it manually gives more options and a higher quality.

Just remember its illegal to copy movies e.t.c so as Chilling said i hope its only Home movies your wanting to copy.

P.S Robo your living a very sheltered life, why buy an xbox if your not going to use it as a media center? After all it just a rebadged PC.

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 04:14 PM
The Xbox has been moddified without a mod chip. (The original Microsoft BIOS has been overwritten)
Can also do it with a mod chip.
Don't know what the legal stance is on modding an Xbox though. :D
Once you have a modded Xbox you can then change the dashboard (The screen you get once the Xbox has booted) to one that allows you to do all sorts of things like playing DVD's without having to buy the DVD remote. Also makes it a multizone DVD player.
Can play Xbox games bought from overseas.
Can play all the old arcade games with one of the many available emulators.
Can upgrade the original HDD to a bigger one.
Can network it with a PC and run the Xbox Media Centre and play all your media files on your PC like DVD, DivX, MP3, JPG and heaps more.

It rocks because I used have my PC sitting in my lounge hooked up to the TV/Stereo to do this. Now my PC is back in the study where it belongs and I use the XBox instead. Much smaller, neater, tidier etc and I can play XBox games!

robo
28-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Pete, I know, I know. I just wasn't aware that it was hackable to be a media PC. It makes perfect sense that it is possible, and is a way lower cost option to a full blown PC.
robo.

metla
28-07-2004, 04:16 PM
>>Don't know what the legal stance is on modding an Xbox though.

This gets my goat,who are MS or anyone else for that matter to say what you can do with gear you own?? Makes me sick.

Megaman
28-07-2004, 04:16 PM
you can download some emulation software from http://www.makeabackup.com. Some of the stuff is free, while many cost (Like Alcohol120%)

robo
28-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Especially if the remote control works.
I don't know much about xbox other than it is a PC in a PS2's clothing.
Maybe I should buy one and play with them.
robo.

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Here's (http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/) the website for the Media Center if you're interested robo.

Pete O\'Neil
28-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Im soooo tempted to buy a XBOX some of the games arent too bad either and a media centre would be nice. Did you know that you can also mod the controller to run on a PC? All you need is a USB cable and a controller, open up the controller un-solder the Xbox cable and solder in the USB cable. The Xbox controller just uses USB after all just with a different plug on the end. I've got one at home it make NFS and other racing simulators heaps more fun. If you want to get really tricky you could put some sort of plug in the middle so you can use it on the PC and Xbox.

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Pretty sure you can just buy an adaptor cable that you plug your xbox controller into to make it a normal USB plug. No need to open up the controller.

CYaBro
28-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Like this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PC-games/Joysticks-wheels/auction-13932837.htm)

metla
28-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Just a picture of a converter

http://www.computermedic.co.nz/product_images/joybox_L.jpg

Lohsing
28-07-2004, 04:32 PM
> You're using an xbox as a media center pc?
> Interesting.
> Definitely want to know more.
> robo.

Robo - have you not seen the infamous PS2 vs X-Box threads?? Lol... X-Box as a media center pc is prob not the best description for it... you still need to network it to a fileserver somewhere!

But once you do... streaming movies, music, etc becomes a breeze.

Awesome fun!

Lo.

Pete O\'Neil
28-07-2004, 04:39 PM
> Pretty sure you can just buy an adaptor cable that
> you plug your xbox controller into to make it a
> normal USB plug. No need to open up the controller.

Yeah but thats nowhere near as ghetto and doesnt look as cool. Plus you feel better after doing it yourself, any n00b can buy a converter it take a "special" person to do it themselves.

metla
28-07-2004, 04:58 PM
And we all strive to be ghetto afterall....]:)

Pete O\'Neil
28-07-2004, 05:10 PM
I know deep down somewhere melta your ghetto we all are. Ghetto is just like the borg....... resistance is futile.

The money you save from just buying a new USB cable means you can get in your pimped out ride :) and cruise down to super cheap auto (do you have that in whanganui?) and pick up some $2 spray paint for a Xbox controller that will stand out from the crowd.

metla
28-07-2004, 05:12 PM
dunno...what the hell is a whanganui?

beetle
28-07-2004, 05:15 PM
More to the point where and who is melta??????

:D

whanganui??????

?:|

beetle

Pete O\'Neil
28-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Opps my bad... i meant Metla and that town just over from Palmerston North and just down from New Plymouth....... think its called Wanganui ;)

naughtyboy
28-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your prompt help - I've enjoyed all the ensuing conversations. I must do this more often. Cheers.

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2004, 05:56 PM
You dont _need_ to have it connected to a LAN - You can quite happily get files off CD-RW's or DVD's and save them on the HDD. This works quite well if you HDD is larger than the stock 8/10GB Hard Drive :-)

XMBC can be used entirely as a replacement Dash for XBox now, a nice improvement over XBMP.

Im debating buying the 5.1 channel output kit so I can watch DVD's in full surround sound.

Aside from this - The XBox controllers are just like any other USB Gamepad. Grab a Driver from xbox-scene.com and you're set!
The USB Cables work two ways - Ive taken an old controller a mate was going to throw out (This was one he bought right back when XBox first came out for about $50 - a cheapo brand-less controller) and cut off the end so Ive got the XBox plug. Resolder it the right way and I can use my '2x Female PS2 > USB' adapter to plug my Wireless Keyboard and Mouse into my baby and use keyboard / mouse from the other side of the lounge.
Its got a built in 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, and I plan on putting Gentoo on there when Ive finished trying out a few different Dash's, and running Gaim. Why not have a desktop PC for $300?! Sounds good to me.....
Small-form-factor, portable, nice graphics card although the 64MB Ram could do with upping....

I really hope they dont take the HDD out of the next XBox2 :-(

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2004, 01:07 AM
I know this is way off-topic, but here's something for Robo:
http://www.waltercedric.com/pc/xbox/mediaplayer/convertXboxMediaCenter.htm

Enjoy!

Chill.

Lohsing
29-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Link corrected... (http://www.waltercedric.com/pc/xbox/mediaplayer/convertXboxMediaCenter.htm) ;)

Lo.

metla
29-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Just out of interest, do either of you use your Poxbox to play games?

Regularly I mean.

Lohsing
29-07-2004, 01:28 AM
> Just out of interest, do either of you use your
> Poxbox to play games?
>
> Regularly I mean.

Not any more actually. Every now and then... but mainly used to stream media to my TV now more than anything.

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Yeah, well..... Sometimes...

Somebody was kind enough to give me 7 seasons worth of DivX Southpark Episodes, so I've just been sending them all across the LAN.

My XBox also hosts my Music Video Collection (Sending across now) and my Music also (Man Im glad XMBC auto-renames files to the required length!)

Games on a Gaming Console? Yeah... Right.... ;-)