PDA

View Full Version : O/T anyone goto this bidding sites?

jackyht
28-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi guys

i was looking on the Australia breakfast show on prime channel, during the ads, it has another auction sites, it is http://www.bid4it.co.nz

anyone heard of it? i think trademe is better than this right?

Jacky

mikebartnz
28-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Yes and it's got a bloody annoying flashing graphic of Bid4It which drove me away. As yet they haven't got much listed but if people carry on getting sick of TradeMe that could change.

metla
28-07-2004, 02:19 PM
People are getting sick of trademe?

why so?

robo
28-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes, Mike, why is trademe causing sickness?
You mean annoyed or bored?
Seems to be few buyers and lots of sellers at the moment, but that's not the end of the world. Is it?
robo.

mikebartnz
28-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Take a look at this site. (http://www.scambusters.co.nz/)
Also Aardvark (http://www.aardvark.co.nz/) had something about it recently.

robo
29-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Interesting, but while I can see that there might be some pressure on trademe management to do more (which would cost them money, and potentially increase fees) I don't think they are to blame.
There are bunches of woofters doing dodgy things on trademe and the rule has to be if something seems to good to be true, it probably is.
I still see ebay as a much riskier place to deal. Many sellers tend to charge outrageous delivery fees, and add 5% for Paypal, which inflates the cost of items dreadfully.
I have found trademe very responsive to suggestions to remove dodgy listings.
It's not perfect, but it's a pretty good auction site for us nzers.
robo.

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 12:34 PM
I think it was more to do with the fact that TradeMe wanted no mention of warning about there being dodgy traders in their message boards. The dodgy traders are not their fault but it is not very responsible denying the fact on their message board. Fore warned is fore armed.

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 12:36 PM
By the way Robo I think dodgy is one word that could be added to the spelling dictionary.

robo
29-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Maybe I should ask them why they have taken this position. I suppose they don't want trademe to look like a hotbed of deception, and the message boards might give that impression.
However, they don't want people to have bad experiences. It is interesting. I got an offer from someone on a closed auction today, they have a feedback rating of 13 (100%), but none for sales. That put me off.
It is impossible to save people from themselves. They still buy bee pollen capsules, magnetic underlays, exercise equipment they will never use, and try to help out Nigerians with unfeasible amounts of money.
I think the jerks are worse than the scammers. The ones that don't set out to rip people off but take forever to pay, reply to emails or ship goods. Or they inadequately describe things, don't answer questions, or wrap poorly. They are nearly as annoying as the people who ask if there is a buy now when there isn't or ask what the reserve is.
robo.

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 07:16 PM
>I think the jerks are worse than the scammers.
It's easier to spot a scammer. :D

robo
29-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Agreed.
It's tough with feedback. If they complete the deal but leave you feeling uncomfortable or wanting to warn people, you can't always justify leaving neutral or negative feedback. If you put less than enthusiastic narrative in, that will be lost with time, anyway.
robo.

mikebartnz
29-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I had one where the guy had not verified the CD's for Linux that he had done. I probably should have given him a negative feedback.

andrew93
29-07-2004, 07:47 PM
> They are nearly as
> annoying as the people who ask if there is a buy now
> when there isn't

Asking for a buy now price when you offer a no-reserve auction really gets up my goat - I have worked a way around such dumb questions without appearing pissed off or arrogant and I usually reply with "Hi, I would be more than happy to put on a buy-now if you would suggest a price, Thanks".

They usually don't respond.

robo
29-07-2004, 07:50 PM
That's the thing. I had one where he wrongly (ignorantly) described the product as an original vintage XXX, and he must have been like 14 and to him it was original and vintage but was about 30 years too new to be vintage. I paid for it, told him to keep it, said he could re-list but only if he described it better. That was fine, he gave me +ve feedback, and I gave him the same. Then he asked trademe for a refund! He got his cake, and ate it, and wanted a refund on the auction fee! Again, wasn't malicious, cancelled the application when I pointed out what he was doing.
Feedback is a dangerous thing, people are so precious about it that anything less than positive turns into a flame war. If someone has 98% it is usually the other person that is the problem or in rare cases they will admit something went wrong. It is very easy to create feedback that is bollocks (by buying cheap stuff) - and when they then suddenly list 500 items that are all worth a couple of hundred bucks each, that's when you smell a very large rodent.
robo.

drb1
05-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Trade me need to clean up their act regarding their treatment of top bidders, and the way they allow traders to ignore the rights of top bidder's. If they don't they are going to run into serious trouble real soon.