PDA

View Full Version : DirectX9 freezing game

supergran
27-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Got my daughters puter back from a repair store, fixed under warranty, and they have formatted back to new an old HP 4509. Tis three years old, running 98SE.
She installed Goodsol, which is a card game, and it promptly locks the puter up. She has always been able to play this game before.
After some searching I found they have installed Direct X9 on her puter, and checking the troubleshooting in DirectX9, it says "Hardware accelerated Direct 3D 9+ is not available because display driver does not support it. See if new driver is available". Ok, so far so good. Is the display driver the thing that says 'sis 530'. I found that under display in device properties, and if it is how do I find a driver, as I have clicked find driver, and it searched cab files, and says the best driver is installed.

Other than that, is there a way to uninstall DirectX9 and go back to Direct X8 which is what I think she was running? I can't find an uninstaller, and don''t really want to reformat again, and she doesnt want it going back into the city to the shop and loosing the puter again for another week. TIA
Ps, I will be back on tomorrow to check for answers.

Murray P
28-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi Supergran

The 530 chipset is getting on now. You could try the SiS or HP sites for an motherboard/chipset driver upgrade but may require a BIOS flash as well. Possibly the the easiest thing to do would be to pick up a 2nd hand GeForce 2 or 3 video card and plug that in, it's be PCI card I guess because I don't think that chipset supported AGP, not the old Jetway motherboard I had anyway. The 530 wasn't the best chipset for video, sound and stability in my experience and, going by past research on the net, quiet a few others so, taking the onboard video out of play will probably do wonders.

I'm sure I have come across DirectX roll back hacks before so will have a look, they will not be supported by MS though. I think there might have been another issue with DirectX upgrades and win98 that a roll back of DirectX possibly wont fix, will check that out too.

You could always try system file checker but doubt that will do anything to DirectX.

Another possibility is to get honking mad at the repair shop for doing such a poor job, embarrass them into giving you an onsite repair.

Cheers Murray P

supergran
28-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all that info Murray, so for us, I guess if I cant embarass the large repair store that fixes HP's, to fix her puter, I might have to reformat, and get rid of it that waY. She doesn't want to spend money on her puter, and until they reformatted, then added DirectX9, she has been happy with her puter, even though it is getting on.

tweak\'e
28-07-2004, 10:38 PM
mayby i have missed something here but who said directX9 is the cause of the problem ????

theres quite a few reasons the game may not play.

> checking the troubleshooting in DirectX9, it says "Hardware accelerated Direct 3D 9+ is not available because display driver does not support it

just means either incorrect driver or its a 2D card. check what driver they have installed (mayby an old ver off her disk) and/or install an updated ver.

Bam Bam1
28-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I've used DirectX removers in the pass such as "dxerad" (not sure where I got it from but a google search should turn it up) that have worked reasonably well. Give a try then reinstall an earlier version of Direct X before going through with a reformat.

Regards

Murray P
28-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Yes, I would say it is their problem and I would stress to them that because of that they should send a tech for an onsite service.They might even be willing to throw in an older video card for nicks, with a bit of hinting to help them reach that decision, it would probably be cheaper than a reformat for them.

One thing I picked up during my travels was that if you were thinking of installing DX 9c and you had an older video card it would be best to hold back. Unfortunately the author did not elaborate and I couldn't find any more info on that subject, all the talk being in the main on gamers or overclockers forums forums who would not be running your gear (not admitting it anyway).

If Pete O'neil, Metla tweak'e or kiki are sneaking around they might have more clues for you than me, don't hold your breathe though :|

Cheers Murray P

;)

supergran
29-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Tweake, I am not positive that it is DirectX causing the problem, all I know is that last time we reformatted we didn't get error messages in Direct X when I tested direct draw etc, now we get "hardware accelerated Direct 3D 9+ is not available because display driver does not support it" .
The puter is HP and comes with a reformat option OEM or whatever you call it, and it puts everything back to how it was bought, supposedly.
I have reinstalled only the same things that I did last time, and the card game locks up the puter, which it didnt do before.
When I rung Big Byte about said problem, they also said it could be the Direct X but the only way I could get rid of it was to reformat, which is why I posted on here to see if that was accurate or not. All she wants to do is be able to play goodsol, which has always played before, and nothing else has changed, only the Direct X.

Growly
29-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Actually, this happened to a friend of mine. Hasn't been solved yet, his computer freezes or restarts - but it happened when he installed DirectX 9B. I have read that DX cannot be uninstalled properly. (Maybe with unsupported hacks though).