PDA

View Full Version : Sending SMS via GPRS

fergie
27-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi all.
hey - i just had a thought.
I'm getting a new phone - on vodafone - supports GPRS, and i was going to get the $5 a month for 1mb data (crap i no!) then i thought, surely there'd be a way to send SMS (txt) and MMS (pxt) using this network - and not paying the general 20c or whatever, but just have the data taken from your limit.
Anyone no if its possible? if so, how.
I'm geting a Sony Ericsson T610

cheers

jackyht
27-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi Fergie

GPRS is used to surf information only and download stuff only, i think if u send sms or MMS, u are required to done through the phone and pay 20c only...

well if they really have this function to send sms or mms from GPRS, it will cost u alot anyway... <the data cost for GPRS and the cost of sending sms or mms~!!!)

hmmm, regards the phone, u might be look it quick, as the phone starting to phrase out soon... the latest price that i saw in nz mobile phone company is $399....

hope that helps
Jacky

robo
28-07-2004, 08:21 AM
I am not sure that pxting would be cheaper on gprs, given the amount of data in a pxt.

SMS is a separate function that uses the handshaking signal to send the message, you can't re-route it through GPRS. PXT is not in the same category, but I doubt there is choice.
robo.

Alasta
28-07-2004, 09:38 AM
There was a discussion on this topic a while back on www.geekzone.co.nz. The short answer is that some older Sony/Ericsson handsets (the T39 and R520 come to mind) had a setting to send SMS over GPRS or circuit switched data. This led many people to believe that they could send an SMS and avoid the 20c charge but, since it still has to be routed through the Vodafone SMS message centre, the 20c charge is actually still incurred.

fergie
28-07-2004, 06:55 PM
ok, was just a thought, would have been cool if ya could tho....
and another thing, i see u can check your emails with vodafone.
I was reading the site, says something about using WAP.
I'm with Paradise, could i check them?
ANd how much does it cost? becuase what happens if i get a 1mb email - it won't download it all will it?
Is there a way to just check teh subject and maybe like the first 10 lines (like mailwasher) so u can decide if you wnat to download it all.

And whats the difference between GPRS and CSD?
Cool

Alasta
28-07-2004, 08:03 PM
I think you can check any POP email account from Vodafone's WAP site but, if you're getting a T610, then you'd be better to use the handset's built in email client. Either way, you can read subject lines before downloading the whole message.

GPRS and CSD differ in that CSD ties up capacity on the network until you 'hang up', whereas GPRS is an always-on connection which only ties up capacity on the network while sending and receiving data. Most network providers therefore charge per minute for CSD and per megabyte for GPRS and, for most people, GPRS works out cheaper overall.