PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mandrake

kit2hugh
27-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Can anyone help me I am going to build my own computer and want to run Linux Mandrake on it. I want to use AMD XP 2800, Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2, Seagate Barracuta 120gbata 7200, Leadtech 2000 Expert tv tuner card, MSI DVD writer 8x I will use integrated graphics and soundcard. Can drivers be found for these items. Thanks

Chilling_Silence
27-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Mandrake will run almost all of it without a hitch, however I dont know about the motherboard, but I can say:

AMD AthlonXP 2800+ will work OS independantly - No drivers are needed
120GB Hard Drive will work fine - and no defragging coz its Linux either :-)
DVD Writer will be fine, Region-free actually :-)
Graphics will be fine no matter what, you can always just revert to Vesa drivers
The TV Card is based on the bttv chipset IIRC, and shouldnt be a worry if you're using the 2.6 kernel.

Hopefully somebody else can help with the Mobo, otherwise I'll google for it later and let you know.
Mostly you shouldnt have a problem with the Drivers - Linux comes with all the drivers :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

kit2hugh
28-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks Chill I am looking forward seeing Linux working for the first time.
Hugh

Pete O\'Neil
28-07-2004, 07:03 PM
As far as im aware that motherboard doesnt have onboard graphics. A very nice board, heaps of features and shouldnt be too expensive (cr@p for overclocking but thats not a biggy). If you want a good nForce2 board with onboard video have a look at the Abit NF7-M or the Soltek SL-75MRN-L. Just remember when using the onboard video on the nForce2 it best to use Dual Channel RAM.

nForce2 support is kinda shitty in linux. Its all to do with the kernel, the latest one finally has support for the nForce2. I know mandrake 10 has drivers built in as i had it up and running on my system, Fedora Core 1 doesnt but im pretty sure Core 2 does.

You can download drivers from nVidias website, so if your pretty confident with linux in theory you can get it to work with any kernel/dist. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to install hardware drivers under linux.

Elephant
28-07-2004, 07:47 PM
> Thanks Chill I am looking forward seeing Linux
> working for the first time.

So if that is the case why not boot off a CD and run Knoppix?
This before you pick a version of Linux!

Do you want to recompile the kernal every so often?

Do you change hardware often?

Most versions of Linux will work for you. You dont mention what printers, scanners, modem etc you have.

Are you trying to network and share printers?

Are you comfortable with a (Command Line Interface) CLI at times?

Have you used a version of DOS ( Disk Operating System) whether this is PCDos, MSDos etc.

Are you aware on how to partition and format your hard drive?

I am not trying to put you off here but just want to give you something to think about. Various people will say Knoppix, RedHat, Fedora, Mandrake and I will not even get to version numbers for this post.

Elephant
28-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Another thing I forgot to say.

Get whatever version of Linux you want.

What software do you want to run?

Will this work under whatever O/S you choose?

Your choice entirely.

You could choose to go via a version of Windows and dual boot with a version of linux on the one hard drive. You can also choose to have a removable master hard drive with a version of Win on one and a version on linux on the other. Want to run Linux then just boot off the Linux drive. Want to run Winxx then boot off the other.

I hope you know about partitions like Fat16, Fat32, NTFS, EXT, Swap etc.

I would not try to stop you doing this sort of stuff at all. How do you think I learnt a bit?

Hoping this helps!!

Murray P
28-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Mepis Linux Linux 2003.10 based on the 2.4.22 kernel has full support for nForce chipsets although I had trouble getting the onboard LAN to work for me. However the the 2004 version with support for AMD64 and multi processors is in RC2 now so should not be too far away. You can run Mepis as a live CD while you get the hang of it. Just in case your interested ;)

I agree with Elephant, if your new to Linux, whatever the flavour you decide on, dual boot with windows so you have some refuge when you just need to use the machine without being in learning mode.

Cheers Murray P

Elephant
28-07-2004, 08:57 PM
> Mepis Linux Linux 2003.10 based on the 2.4.22 kernel
> has full support for nForce chipsets although I had
> trouble getting the onboard LAN to work for me.
> However the the 2004 version with support for AMD64
> and multi processors is in RC2 now so should not be
> too far away. You can run Mepis as a live CD while
> you get the hang of it. Just in case your interested
Dont tell me I have to try another distribution. It may be good and I will not doubt you. I do use an nForce chipset. My main reason is that I use an ISP with wireless and want Buffalo drivers to access the internet under Linux.
>
> I agree with Elephant, if your new to Linux, whatever
> the flavour you decide on, dual boot with windows so
> you have some refuge when you just need to use the
> machine without being in learning mode.
And so your modem or whatever will work so you can download various drivers for the hardware running under Linux so you can get everything in the way of Hardware and Software running to suit you.

Murray P
28-07-2004, 09:33 PM
> Dont tell me I have to try another distribution. It
> may be good and I will not doubt you. I do use an
> nForce chipset. My main reason is that I use an ISP
> with wireless and want Buffalo drivers to access the
> internet under Linux.

From what I've heard Mepis is easy to set up for wireless, it seems to have all the options in the networking panel. i don't have personal experience though as I use LAN, which wasn't any problem once I threw in a realtek card so didn't bother trying the sort out my nForce LAN issue.

It's got good USB support too, perhaps hardware detection and ease of setup is inherent with a distro that is both a live CD and HDD installation. Installation BTW is the easiest I have come across, not that my experience is wide.

> And so your modem or whatever will work so you can
> download various drivers for the hardware running
> under Linux so you can get everything in the way of
> Hardware and Software running to suit you.

Yep, see above LAN issue. Did some research from windows, then, being a lazy sod figured it would be quicker to throw a spare card in, booted it up and bingo it was connected, got the jitters and went looking for the (GuardDog) firewall :D

Cheers Murray P