PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nigerian Scam-Meister goes minimalist?

Billy T
27-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Hot off the press in today's email.

Attn. Sir,

I was introduced through the Chamber of Commerce and
Industry in your country.

My name is Nusa Idris, a retired Major General in
Nigerian Army during the late General Sani Abacha
administration. I want to invest a very huge sum of funds
with you in your area of line and services. Kindly furnish
me with the full detailed information of your company's
products so that we can proceed further.

Thanks in anticipation of your cooperation.

Yours sincerely

Rtd Major Gen. Musa Idris

This is a new twist, minus the usual illegal stash of looted cash angle.
Obviously the M.G (Rtd) has decided that less is more.:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

nzStan
27-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Try selling to him our old Skyhawks (are they still on sale?) and all the old army APCs.

metla
27-07-2004, 11:10 AM
I believe the sale is still being negotiated, and the company in charge of selling them has so far profited about 8 million dollars for storing them.

What a rort.

andrew93
27-07-2004, 01:49 PM
> I believe the sale is still being negotiated, and the
> company in charge of selling them has so far profited
> about 8 million dollars for storing them.
>
> What a rort.

one way of getting your taxes back...

BTW - don't the Nigerian scam letters come out of Adelaide?

Billy T
27-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't know about that Andrew, the originals all came out of Nigeria, hence the name, but like anything else on the net, imitators abound.

I can imagine the Aussies running a school to teach people to misspell, type all in caps and compose heart-rending $tories about unclaimed million$.

I have gathered quite a collection so far, and when I get enough I'll publish them as a training textbook. Only 5 or 6 million a copy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

andrew93
27-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Hi Billy

I thought the Aussies had started doing their own Nigerian letter scams and incorrectly thought the Aussie police recently arrested someone in Adelaide - however, they did arrest a Sydney-sider in connection with these scams as you will see from this news article (http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7715101%5E15306,00.html) and this one too (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7726144%255E1702,00.html).

There was also a good article on the history of and background to these scams here (http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/ti121.pdf). I only skim read the article but this guy had collected 250,000 Nigerian scam letters.

Andrew

MartynC
27-07-2004, 05:15 PM
> Try selling to him our old Skyhawks (are they still
> on sale?) and all the old army APCs.

We need the (old) M113 APC's to tow the (new) LAV III out of the mud, across rivers & dirt roads etc etc; & isn't Helen getting a skyhawk for the PM plane? "Air Dud 1"? ;\

Graham L
27-07-2004, 05:28 PM
" .... a school to teach people to mispell, type all in caps ..."?

No need for a school for that. There are many people with natural talents.

Billy T
27-07-2004, 05:48 PM
>I only skim read the article but this guy had
>collected 250,000 Nigerian scam letters.

Bugger, Andrew!

There goes the book! How does somebody collect 250,000 of that rubbish without getting duplicates galore?

I read the references too, a very good read and classic tales of greed and gullibility. The PDF was a bit dated though, with its references to emerging electronic fraud. I haven't had a Nigerian-type scam fax for a couple of years now, though I did receive the Aussie Police Auction one a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiki
27-07-2004, 06:02 PM
:^O

Yes the LAV3's are useless. Anyone watch the Holmes show on it (http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_video/windows/tv_one/?sortby=7)? (Look for holmes_army_240604_128k.asx). Only needs one RPG to blow it up.

"What do you do if you see a tank?"
"We run"

Now that's a great defense force.

andrew93
27-07-2004, 06:25 PM
... and ever since we scrapped the strike arm of our air force, what are we going to scramble in the event of an emergency? eggs?

Big John
27-07-2004, 10:18 PM
I got a personal call the other day from some diphead who I could barely understand and I finally worked out he wanted to send me a fax.
I sent him the fax tone and once it came out it was also a scam from some so called South African who said he had heaps of money stuck in another country and I could help him out and he would share the money with me.

I consigned it to the opropriate place. The fire.

mikebartnz
27-07-2004, 10:26 PM
> Try selling to him our old Skyhawks (are they still on sale?) and all the old army APCs.
and the new lavatories.

mikebartnz
27-07-2004, 10:28 PM
> the originals all came out of Nigeria, hence the name,
The name came from the Nigerian law code 419.

kiki
27-07-2004, 11:11 PM
> ... and ever since we scrapped the strike arm of our air force, what are we going to scramble in the event of an emergency? eggs?

> and the new lavatories.