PDA

View Full Version : MS Word

FrankS
26-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Daughter produced a document using Win 95SE and Word v4 with text, figures and borders. She had printer problems, produced a floppy and asked if I could print off using Win XP Home and Word 2000. Problem when I open the floppy get text and figures but no borders, open floppy on daughters computer and get text, figures and borders. Had a fossick thro Help | Borders but got nowhere, any suggestions.

Rob99
26-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Put the borders on yourself

Rob

andrew93
26-07-2004, 08:45 PM
> Daughter produced a document using Win 95SE and Word
> v4 with text, figures and borders.

Word v4? Is that Works 4.0 for Windows? If so, In Word 2000, click file, open, change "files of type" to "Works 4.0 for Windows", select file, open. See if this makes a difference. If not, instead of clicking the open button, click the down arrow beside the word open and click "Open Read-Only" - see if that makes a difference.

HTH

FrankS
26-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks, but "Works 4.0 for Windows" not listed, file is *.wps which was not listed, would only open using All Files *.* Tried "Open Read- only" NBG
Been into MS Knowledge, Word, there are some problems with Word 2000 reading files and deleting some types of borders, Murphy's Law but the borders I have are solid black which are not supposed to be affected.
Looks as if Rob's solution will have to be the way.

Elephant
26-07-2004, 11:53 PM
> Daughter produced a document using Win 95SE and Word
> v4 with text, figures and borders. She had printer
> problems, produced a floppy and asked if I could
> print off using Win XP Home and Word 2000.
As far as I remember it there was no Win 95SE as an O/S. You would be talking about Win95 OSR2 or Win 98SE I guess. Word v4 came on a number of floppy disks. Now I don't believe that the operating system is an issue here but just pointing it out.

> Problem
> when I open the floppy get text and figures but no
> borders, open floppy on daughters computer and get
> text, figures and borders. Had a fossick thro Help |
> Borders but got nowhere, any suggestions.
I do take it that the floppy file you wish to open has a .doc extension and is as saved on your Daughters' computer. Bear in mind that when you save a word document it will contain all the formatting for the default printer.

I suggest you use the other answer and put the borders in yourself or get daughter to maybe save in a different format or get daughter to upgrade to Word 2000.

By the time you get this you may well have put the borders in yourself anyway. :-)

FrankS
27-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks, knew daughter had Win 95 with second update which as you state is OSR2.
Floppy has wps extension. Just gone onto old Win 95a computer with Works v4 and no printer, file opened with the borders in all their glory. Re printer daughter using HP 540, self HP 948, on XP setup modified 948 page setup to minimum margins to no avail. Think the problem is Word 2000 as per MS Knowledge.
Main thing transparencies produced in time for daughters lecture.

godfather
27-07-2004, 11:10 AM
"Works" word processor is not Word, and has no "relationship" to it.
Later variants of the Works package did actually use Word, but not V4

Its a basic application that is not very portable with its applications unfortunately.

The problem is more with the compatability of the software (Works) the document was created on, and not with Word in my view. Its just not able to be opened on mainstream applications without the correct filters being installed on Word.

Other "save as" options may be available in Works that Word would recognise?

FrankS
27-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Checked,it is Works v4 word processor
Re "save as", tried doc and rtf , both opened with no border
Will just put in down as another experience with the foibles of Windows.