View Full Version : Wireless By USB Adapter

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
26-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Just having a look at some possible wireless solutions. Saw this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4104a6f50193e022273fc0a87f9906e6/Product/View/XH6822) DSE 802.11b Adaptor USB .

Can these act as a network card. Main uses are just surfing the net and network file. Speed does not matter. And no, I may not necessarily buy a DSE one, just enquiring about wireless USB adapters in general.

So can I
1) Buy 2, put on on each desktop computer, then do a pair to pair network and allow one PC to access internet through another?
2) Add more? Or will I need to get an access point then? When I do get one, can I still use these adapters as a network card?


26-07-2004, 08:25 PM
1) yes

2)you will need an AP for more than 2.

General note:
I am aware of people that have bought these for laptops, and taken them back, exchanged for a PCMCIA card version. The range was a bit limited with the USB units for some reason.

26-07-2004, 11:21 PM
>1) yes

>2)you will need an AP for more than 2.
Not so.

You can easily run a peer-to peer (or ad hoc) wireless network with more than two computers, with one being an internet gateway and without any AP.

AP or infrastructure network is needed only if you want to include some direct cabling (other than USB) as well as the wireless connection.

In my case I have 3 computers wireless networked. I don't use an AP, although it can work with one, in my setup not very well tho'.

I can access the internet from any of the 3 using any of the other 2 as gateway.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
26-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Ok, so how is the USB adapters better or worse than the PCI or PCMIA cards? They do seem to be a tiny bit cheaper

27-07-2004, 12:23 AM
>Ok, so how is the USB adapters better or worse than the PCI or PCMIA cards? They do seem to be a tiny bit cheaper

Not too much difference really.
USB adapters are easier to transfer between computers if you want to.

Just plug and unplug without taking off the back if a desktop.

PCI usually in desktop computer, PCMCIA usually in laptop. USB totally interchangeable between either.

Usually if you plug one directly into USB slot on back or front of case range is a bit limited. I have Zyxel and DSE USB wireless adaptors, both of which have shielded xtension cable about one and a half meters long which give some flexibility to locate where signal is strongest.

I also have a DSE PCI wireless adaptor but I had to (or at least did) buy an extension aerial for about $56 extra to get reasonable signal over the distance I use.
But you can make your own extension aerial out of old tin can or whatever if you like.