PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word 2000

tvg70
26-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Can someone please tell me how to change text to double word spacing.
That is the space between the words not the space between the lines.

Thanks

Terry

godfather
26-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Sorry but I will show my ignorance here.

Double line spacing is a common requirement, but certainly not double word spacing?

What do you mean, you want 2 spaces instead of one between words?

As I see it Word does not control the spaces, you do by using the space bar.

You can alter character spacing under Format Font, but that affects all characters not just the spaces used to separate words.

Can you avise the cause for the need perhaps, it may help us understand?

rugila
26-07-2004, 03:50 PM
You can change spacing of the letters or characters by going to Format ->Font ->Spacing.

To space the words only I don't have that many bright ideas short of writing a macro to do it. My Autoformat -> Autocorrect as you type: doesn't seem to like the idea of replacing a single space with a double one. It seems to only like to do that sort of thing with characters and not spaces. Maybe yours is more cooperative.

But do your document normally. When document is finished go to Edit -> Replace. In Find what: put a single space, in Replace with: put a double space. Then click Replace All.

Miami Steve
26-07-2004, 03:55 PM
What you suggest, rugila, will only work with a fixed-width font, where a space is the same width as any other character (e.g. Courier). Where a proportional font is being used, the extra space will be barely noticeable.

Cheers
Miami

godfather
26-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Word Wrap applies some variable spacing funtion but thats dynamic.

rugila
26-07-2004, 04:36 PM
>What you suggest, rugila, will only work with a fixed-width font, where a space is the same width as any other character (e.g. Courier). Where a proportional font is being used, the extra space will be barely noticeable.

Double space was asked for Miami Steve, and double space was provided by my suggestion.

What else do you expect me to do? Stand on my head?

And if it seems to anyone that double spacing isn't enough to give the desired visual effect, then replace all single spaces by triple spaces, or quadruple spaces or 57 spaces or whatever you like until the user is happy.

But maybe some people are never happy.

Peter
26-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi

Enter "kerning" in Word Help and follow the simple instructions.

P.

godfather
26-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Kerning affects all characters equally as I recall.
Thats not what is sought if that's the case.

parry
26-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi further to previous comments Word appears to only have character spacing or line spacing not word spacing. Unfortunately there are no application level events in Word (to my knowledge) that monitor keypress so you wouldnt be able to have a macro that could automate this for you as you type. The next best thing is a macro which you run manually that will add the extra space but this seems clumsy to me.

The best solution I can think of is to put up with the single spacing while your typing and then when your finished typing select the text then Edit|Replace from the menu. In the 'Find What' box enter a single space and in the 'Replace With' box enter 2 spaces then click OK. This will replace the single spaces with a double and should resolve the issue for you.

hth

Rob99
26-07-2004, 08:17 PM
You could try applying the spacebar twice between each word as you type.

Rob

tvg70
26-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks to every one for there input, I figured out in the end to use the replace function, I just thought that there may had been another way probably not something that is very common and microsoft haven't thought of it.

Thanks again!!!

Terry

rugila
26-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Parry,

My suggestion as above:
>finished go to Edit -> Replace. In Find what: put a single space, in Replace with: put a double space. Then click Replace All.

Your suggestion, which is the best you can think of:
>finished typing select the text then Edit|Replace from the menu. In the 'Find What' box enter a single space and in the 'Replace With' box enter 2 spaces then click OK.

Maybe I should copyright some of the material I post on this forum.
Or more probably I'd just be better off not wasting my time trying to help people here.

andrew93
27-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi Rugila

don't let it get to you....in this situation it's best to do your first post and walk away. I agree that providing a solution only to be ignored can be frustrating, although I suspect some posters don't read all previous posts before making their suggestion.

One good one is worth a dozen of these ones - you know you're right and sometimes that is satisfaction enough. It's not a waste of time - I've certainly learnt from your XL posts. I elect not reply to some questions from a few specific members when I know my suggestion will be ignored.

See ya on the next XL question (or Word, you beat me to this one) or the next stock market question!

:D

BTW Rugila - I loved your snippets the other night - do you know a good "philosophy for dummies" website? (cheats way of reading what I should read)

rugila
27-07-2004, 01:08 AM
andrew93

>providing a solution only to be ignored can be frustrating

I don't mind being ignored. That's part of the game.
I don't like being plagiarized without acknowledgment. That's not part of any game I can get any interest from being involved in.

>I loved your snippets the other night - do you know a good "philosophy for dummies" website? (cheats way of reading what I should read.

Thanx for that encouragement.
Maybe unusual to say so in this particular forum, but none of that stuff came from the internet.
Also, if interested you might like to verify any of it against whatever you consider to be a reliable check (including your local university for some of the probability stuff). I don't think you'd find much wrong with any of it.
I don't know of any philosophy for dummies websites - never looked - I suppose a check with Google might turn up something, but you can do that as well as I (can).

parry
27-07-2004, 08:17 AM
> Parry,
>
> My suggestion as above:
> >finished go to Edit -> Replace. In Find what: put a
> single space, in Replace with: put a double space.
> Then click Replace All.
>
>
> Your suggestion, which is the best you can think of:
> >finished typing select the text then Edit|Replace
> from the menu. In the 'Find What' box enter a single
> space and in the 'Replace With' box enter 2 spaces
> then click OK.
>
> Maybe I should copyright some of the material I post
> on this forum.
> Or more probably I'd just be better off not wasting
> my time trying to help people here.

Sorry I missed that comment regarding Edit|Replace. However comments such as "Maybe I should copyright material I post" sounds rather arrogant and you must be very adept at balancing that large chip on your shoulder.

robc
27-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Ouch, aaaagh, pow whammee. Go for it guys.
Hey, I don't add to much to these fora but I recognise that there are a lot of people with better brains and more experience than I have in the matter of computers. I am glad to read all the tips which are posted but I must say I do enjoy a good stoush.
Terry, if you are going to post here you should at least read the replies and guys if he doesn't, his loss. Don't get too proprietorial about your replies. I seem to remember something about "casting pearls before swine".
RobC

robc
27-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Anyway, why would you want to put two spaces between words. Sounds pretty subversive to me!

tvg70
28-07-2004, 12:30 AM
To some of the above, I did read all the posts, and did use the suggestions posted, and I did appreciate the effort put in by all, and if you read above I did thank them for there effort. Why I did that is to let people know that I did not need any further help so they could help others in need.

So once again to all above thank you for your time and effort is appreciated.

Thank You all!!!