PDA

View Full Version : formating hard drive

moamanz
26-07-2004, 08:55 AM
I started having a problem with my cd writer not working (thought I could sort it using selective start up)now I have an even bigger problem.
I eneded up having the sytem locked in safe mode and it refused to proceed beyond a black screen and a few words saying safe mode then going to restart.I being clever thought ok I will use my rescue disk/cd oem.Yeah well I used that and eneded up reinstalling XP HOME EDITION,now I have two.One called WINDOWS the other WINDOWS2. WINDOWS wont get passed an endless loop of restarts from the safe mode page,WINDOWS2 wont find any periferal hardware like modems printers scanners etc and has very little software in it.I think a clean start is possibly the way to go ???????????. When I tried to use the built in format hard drive it said cant be done,maybe because I have 2 operating systems yes??????????.
ANY SUGGESTIONS APART FROM DONT FIDDLE AGAIN WOULD BE HUGELY WELCOME.Thanks for reading this far Dave.

rugila
26-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Seems like you to did manage to get into a bit of a mess.

You could get around it other than by reformatting your hard drive, but if that's the way you want to go, just back up any important data you have on it and go to it.

Boot up using the WinXP disk (your BIOS should give you the option of booting from your CD drive) and it will (or should if you've got a new install version) give you the option of formatting the HDD.

metla
26-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Can you boot the original install into safe mode again?

If so then do so,then fire up msconfig and disable every entry under the start up tab and reboot.If she fires up your 70 percent on your way back to a healthy comp.

moamanz
27-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi,thanks for the info,I gave it my best shot to save/rescue the original install without success.I managed to format and reinstall on a clean disk.I have it all back to where I was with the cd writer working intermittently,some program disks it started ok others not so(thinking of upgrading to a DVD writer if its a continual problem..I also have a dead modem it seems.Says it is either switched off(checked that) or the port COM 1 is being used by another device(I cant see what).Maybe its just died,is there an easy way to check or is it simpler cheaper to buy another 56k modem.This system was new just over 2 years ago,PC Company.Thanks again for the help,both of you.Dave.

moamanz
27-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi,thanks for the info,I gave it my best shot to save/rescue the original install without success.I managed to format and reinstall on a clean disk.I have it all back to where I was with the cd writer working intermittently,some program disks it started ok others not so(thinking of upgrading to a DVD writer if its a continual problem..I also have a dead modem it seems.Says it is either switched off(checked that) or the port COM 1 is being used by another device(I cant see what).Maybe its just died,is there an easy way to check or is it simpler cheaper to buy another 56k modem.This system was new just over 2 years ago,PC Company.Thanks again for the help,both of you.Dave.

rugila
27-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Modems tend to go on for years without problems.
Maybe its died but unlikely.

Go to Control panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager -> Modems and then right click on your modem to get Properties.

This gives you a set of options as to what to do about your modem - like is it working etc? You might like to check these options out before tossing it out and getting a new one.

Graham L
27-07-2004, 03:03 PM
If the modem is an internal one, it should not be using the COM1 port. Try "Remove"ing it in the Hardware Monitor, then restarting it. When it is detected as a new device the reinstallation of the driver might get the resource allocation right. ;-)