PDA

View Full Version : Those FAQs.

paradox
25-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Hello there...On 7/5/04 Slim said this...

"Is anybody else having trouble connecting onto the FAQ page and trying to open a page, FAQ9a, I have been trying all day with no success."

Today, tonight and last night I tried to to open the thread on PCWorld CDs and my browser simply doesn't move. I've had this experience several times over the last year and have only made one reasonably quick connect in that time.

Slim got a lot of help from the troops amd a copy of the faq that he wanted but nothing from the FAQ site.

This a shame because a visit to a FAQ sight is frequently made with some urgency and a no go is a real downer. And all the work put into those FAQs deserves to be seen more easily than this.

In Slim's thread someone said that management was looking at this.

I'm not being snarky about this..it's just that to me, it seems like a waste of a much needed resource.

Hopefully...Ken

metla
25-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Indeed,The FAQ's are being re-edited and are to be published seperatly from the forum,negating the need to drag them out from under so much fluff just to be viewed

I just made that up,But it should be done,As harsh as it may seem the faq's are rendered useless in their current state.

I wonder how many hyper-sensative new age types will get offended by me using the word useless.

TonyF
25-07-2004, 11:56 PM
One trick is to cut/paste the reference ( FAQ #? XXXXX etc) into Search - turns up fairly fast. There was earlier traffic about this method. Is there a better one ?
Cheers T

zqwerty
26-07-2004, 12:07 AM
From my original post on how to do this:

Also to get into the super slow FAQ pages, find the one you want to read. Click on the name of the person who wrote the faq, see all posts, search for the one you want and BINGO, you are in fast.
Rob

Billy T
26-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Even faster:

Open the main FAQ page because that is never slow, find the FAQ you want then enter the number in full (e.g. FAQ #8a) into the search feature, select from the results and the FAQ will pop up at virtually normal speed.

It takes longer to describe this than it does to do it!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
26-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Then there was This Thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49432) that generated so little interest (and no response from our favourite gnomes) that I formed the view that FAQ speed was a non-event.

Perhaps it should have been posted as a poll. :D

Does the PF1 FAQ access speed suck or blow?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

paradox
26-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks..I'll be using them until metla's dream comes
true. Ken

metla
29-07-2004, 12:26 PM
> Indeed,The FAQ's are being re-edited and are to be
> published seperatly from the forum,negating the need
> to drag them out from under so much fluff just to be
> viewed
>
> I just made that up,But it should be done,

Well guess what folks, what I mentioned as pure fancy is in the process of becoming reality, maybe I can now be bothered to write the faq's I had in mind.

FAQ/How to buy a laptop that fits your needs
FAQ/The basics needed to get involved in Video editing
FAQ/Goldfish.....Not really made of gold!!!!

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I like the idea of a FAQ on Video Editing / Capturing, as its turning up a fair bit recently.....

Chill.

Rob99
29-07-2004, 02:26 PM
How about one on graphics cards, whats better pro or se etc.

-FAQ-
24-08-2004, 05:45 PM
> > Indeed,The FAQ's are being re-edited and are to be
> > published seperatly from the forum,negating the
> need
> > to drag them out from under so much fluff just to
> be
> > viewed
> >
> > I just made that up,But it should be done,
>
> Well guess what folks, what I mentioned as pure fancy
> is in the process of becoming reality, maybe I can
> now be bothered to write the faq's I had in mind.

The FAQs are currently in the process of being rewritten and the first batch are ready to be posted. It would be appreciated if they could be looked over and constructive criticism be given if required before they get locked and placed into the FAQ section.

Please note that the entire FAQ contents list has been revised to a more logical order and when they are all posted the old FAQs will be unlocked and released for the new ones to replace them. Hopefully that will solve the FAQ opening speed issue for a little while at least.

> FAQ/How to buy a laptop that fits your needs
> FAQ/The basics needed to get involved in Video
> editing
> FAQ/Goldfish.....Not really made of gold!!!!

It would be good to have a "How to choose a video card" FAQ. :-)

metla
24-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Im workin on it...

Which means i havent started yet,but when i do it will only take 15 minutes.

Which i guess just makes the fact i havent done it yet even more of a worry,

Lmao.

I was only 24 hours from Tulsa....

Ahem.

Soon.

nzStan
24-08-2004, 06:10 PM
OMG ITS RAINING FAQS!!!!1111

stu120404
24-08-2004, 06:21 PM
> OMG ITS RAINING FAQS!!!!

LOL!, the -FAQ- person has been busy :D, & I think I know who it is as well ;), but I am Not saying a word on who it is......

metla
24-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Its Susan.

Didn't you get the memo?