PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Capture Card?

Lohsing
25-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Just wondering if there was a definitive card out there which was suitable for capturing video, etc?

Any opinions? I currently use the Leadtek WinFast TV USB II but am sometimes a little disappointed with results from capturing tv.

Cheers,

Lo.

metla
25-07-2004, 08:28 PM
hmmm....In my opinion the Winfast cards are the ones to get,Can't say i have ever used a usb one though,what problems are you experiencing?,With the pCI cards the Sound card can affect recording drasticly,as can the state of the harddrive,the state of the OS,programs running in the background and dome mobo chipsets have been identified as causing problems.

ferrite
25-07-2004, 08:30 PM
what poor results ru getting as far as i know leadtek r the world leaders in every thing to do with graphics ect if u can afford it.get the latest model.

kiki
25-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Canopus range.

metla
25-07-2004, 09:21 PM
well yes but i don't think they have a tv card as such,just dedicated capture cards which are expensive,so expensive that your better off purchasing a dv cam and using that in conjuction with firewire.

metla
25-07-2004, 09:24 PM
http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-brand-template.asp?bname=Canopus

For whats its worth,i contacted an american company about suppliing one of those Canopus DV Storm 2 Pro cards,and it was going to cost about half of NZ retail.

Lohsing
25-07-2004, 09:35 PM
> what poor results ru getting as far as i know leadtek
> r the world leaders in every thing to do with
> graphics ect if u can afford it.get the latest model.

Hmmm... I guess I'm trying to record the AB games this year and it seems a little pixelated at times...

I've tried playing around with the capture quality settings and they seem to be at maximum at the moment... oh well, will keep trying!

Lo.

metla
25-07-2004, 09:44 PM
use a lossy codec such as huffy,this will get rid of the pixels provided it isnt caused by a grab of resources from another device or software.

The file sizes will be huge though.

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I have the Winfast card and it performs A-OK. Maybe your antenna/cable connection does not deliver a strong enough signal, or the other items in your system are not up to scratch or not compatible with it?

Lohsing
25-07-2004, 10:15 PM
> use a lossy codec such as huffy,this will get rid of
> the pixels provided it isnt caused by a grab of
> resources from another device or software.

Hmmm... I'm using the Mpeg2 Codec at highest audio and video settings... is that good enough, or should I be looking at something else?

Lo.

Growly
25-07-2004, 11:16 PM
(Don't order computer hardware from overseas. Shipping is a fortune, warranties are impossible.)

metla
25-07-2004, 11:20 PM
> (Don't order computer hardware from overseas.
> Shipping is a fortune, warranties are impossible.)

Shipping is 100 odd bucks,Peanuts,and the warrentie issue's are just a risk you take.

Growly
25-07-2004, 11:25 PM
(Yes, but if it were to break, then where would you be? Every time I order something for myself it breaks.)

metla
25-07-2004, 11:31 PM
(why are you typing in brackets?)...is it to sheild against the Growly effect(as in if it comes within 100m's it will never be the same again...)

Anyhow,Like i said if it breaks it breaks and you lose out,The saving would have been at least a thousand dollars,...I never got the item as i couldn't justify the purchase.

Growly
25-07-2004, 11:34 PM
(Well your point is a good one. If you have money to spend. I, being a poor school boy have precious little to use, and I guess my view point suggests that. The brackets were originally because the what I said was somewhat off topic, but now it is more like you said: the Growly syndrome. )

(The Growly plague)

(SAGS, not SARS)

(etc. etc.)

metla
25-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Wait till you get a job,earn cash on a weekly basis then pay it all out to big companies,leaving pocket change for yourself,Its worse then earning littlle,at least at your age any money you get is yours to do as you wish...any idea how much it costs to keep a car on the road for a year?...how about 2 of them?....and the house payments,power,gas,food,maitenence.....

This is why people in the day to day grind take exception to companies such as telecom,whom im sure you have defended from time to time.

I am the KING of OFF TOPIC,able to drag a thread about 7 layer pcb's into the realm of fantasy art within 3 posts........

metla
25-07-2004, 11:46 PM
And i was looking at the Canopus Storm 2 card in order to make some money transferring peoples Video footage to DVD,It wouldn't take many customers to pay for the item,and even if the market for such a service was flat it would pay for itself over time and i would have ended up with a cool toy.

Its an idea i will get back to at a later date.

Winston001
26-07-2004, 11:06 AM
So Metla, do I understand you to say that it is cheaper and/or easier to use a DV camcorder to convert analogue to digital? I have about 25 Video 8 tapes to convert and am wrestling with what to do. So far, I'm losing against myself. :D

whetu
26-07-2004, 11:08 AM
The question asked was which is the best video capture card.

And to answer that, I've been doing part time work with professional/prosumer level dvcam equipment and editing within premiere for years now and have consistently found Canopus to be the best

If however you are talking about consumer level equipment such as VIVO graphics cards or Tv Capture cards.. that's a different story altogether.

Define the question further so proper advice relevant to your situation and requirements (and price range) can be given

metla
26-07-2004, 11:30 AM
uh..........He said quite clearly that he was talking about TV cards,and capturing television,The canopus gear doesn't apply.

nzStan
26-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Slghtly Off topic, anyone seen the August 2004 PCWorld yet (just got in the mail today).

On the last page (Dumb Terminal) there is a HP DVD Movie writer DC4000. Priced at $649 its an external DVD writer with input for VCR and Camcoder. It might just be the thing for me to transfer my wedding video to DVD.

kiki
26-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I see it. Looks a bit 'basic' I like the advanced stuff.

metla
26-07-2004, 11:04 PM
more advanced?

Like these?

http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/pcsystems/pccomputerSplash.html

metla
26-07-2004, 11:11 PM
> So Metla, do I understand you to say that it is
> cheaper and/or easier to use a DV camcorder to
> convert analogue to digital? I have about 25 Video 8
> tapes to convert and am wrestling with what to do. So
> far, I'm losing against myself. :D

I say it because after you have done the conversion you still end up with a DV cam, if you buy an analogue-to-digital converter (for around the same price as a DV cam) it becomes redundant as soon as you’ve completed the task at hand.

As for Video 8?

That would require some specific research, I don't even know what it is......

kiki
27-07-2004, 12:17 AM
> http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/pcsystems/pccomputerSplash.html

Oh my! That's awesome :D How much for that? Uses LCDs too, at least they wouldn't hurt my eyes...

metla
27-07-2004, 12:18 AM
I think their top of the line system is 34 grand american.

Steve_L
27-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Lohsing, et. al.,

Using Winfast TV capture, I recorded TV2 for 30 seconds on each of the settings of MPEG 1 and 2. That is six altogether, Normal, Good and Optimal for each 1 and 2 Mpegs.

Then I transferred it to DVD+RW and played it on our DVD player, to 29 inch flat TV. The results were surprising: I watched intently, carefully, and could NOT see any difference in quality between any setting except that perhaps Mpeg1-normal (the lowest setting) could have been slightly less sharp; doubt if anyone (not knowing the settings) could have seen the difference.

Pixelation: have never noticed this on the 17in Philips LCD, 16ms refresh(?) rate. With the 30sec TV clips on the 29in TV screen I only noticed slight (and brief) pixelation on Mpeg2-good, which is weird because you would expect Mpeg1-normal to be the worst.

Then I watched Whale Rider, taken from TV on Sunday, recorded on Mpeg1-good. No pixelation that most anyone could see, but for split seconds, for several times, I noticed slight pixelation but only when the scene was a certain state - difficult for me to describe - once when the camera zoomed up on a person's face and another time when a whale was full screen underwater. Sort of with grayish foggy scenes, but never pixelates with action, movement, like normal walking people or cars driving by.

At the time of recording, I was multi tasking, having a Gig of RAM and 3G HT P4, ASUS MB. Sometime I will see if pixelation still occurs without multi-tasking and taking the video straight from the PC to the TV (no DVD-RW).

In any event, the quality of recorded DVD is better than VHS tape and as I said, I doubt if anyone else would have noticed it.