PDA

View Full Version : Data backup program

heni72847
25-07-2004, 03:19 PM
can anyone suggest a free simple reliable backup program that i can use for backing up data only my removable hd
i currently use datakeeper but i'm not very satisfy with it
its backup seem to get bigger and bigger
and my ext hd jz runs out of room

i only backup the contents of my documents
i don't see why the size of the backup slows gets bigger overtime

the computer i run my backup on is running window 2000

Graham L
25-07-2004, 04:07 PM
A backup programme will normally manipulate the "Archive" attribute so it backs up only files which have been changed since the last archive. If you are making a new archive each time, it might be doing something silly like adding changed files to a copy of the previous backup.

The traditional backup procedure was to make a full backup once a week, then do "incremental" backups (of files chnaged that day) each day.

Have you room for a set of files called something like: "LastWeekFull", PreviousWeekFull", "Monday", "Tuesday", etc. It's important to never remove the previous full backup until the new one has been completed. In the old system it was automatic because you used at least three sets of tapes. Just rename the last weeks full backup before making the new one.

You could probably make a batch file which will do the whole thing. Look at the options for XCOPY. I think it's "/m" which will copy only files with the archive bit set, then clear the bit.

godfather
25-07-2004, 05:19 PM
This is one line from my DOS backup batch file, it runs under XP.

xcopy c:\data\*.* e:\*.* /y/d/s

It copies to e: (a separate HDD) only those files in the "data" directory or subdirectories that have a file date and time that has changed relative to the ones already backed up.

That routine is run at the end of every day.

e: is a removeable HDD which also gets rotated around a set of 4.
The files get copied to a DVD every month.

It works, I have had to restore data several times.

Old Tom
25-07-2004, 06:57 PM
As a matter of interest where do those Flashh do dads come in on this sort of thing?

Graham L
26-07-2004, 04:44 PM
You could do it quite well with a few of them, like GF's method of multiple removable disk drives. The cost might be a bit higher, though they are a more convenient size.

The convenient size means you would want a secure lockable place for them, as well as following the rule of storing the backups away from the computer. There have been a number of cases of computers and the backups being stolen together. :_|