PDA

View Full Version : Best Laptop/Notebook for under $3000

jabba
25-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Have been looking at this laptop from Dick Smiths the ASUS Notebook L4500Rf or NZ$2697 incl GST.
In it's blurb, it states that it is a Pentium M. Is that the same as a Centrino?
Is asus any good at making laptops eg. after sales service/ spare parts/ longevity?
Is the graphics card any good, I don't intend to play big games, but like to load demos from PCWorld disks once in a while.

metla
25-07-2004, 03:01 PM
>>Is asus any good at making laptops eg. after sales service/ spare parts/ longevity?

ASUS would never hurt their brand by marketing sub-standerd gear,You can rest assured that any Asus product will be built to the highest standards and have excellent product suport.

>>Is the graphics card any good, I don't intend to play big games, but like to load demos from PCWorld disks once in a while.

No its not good,it may run the game demo's at the lowest possible details,but it will be ugly and i would say in the near future there will be many titles that wont even run on that chipset,its starting to happen already.

godfather
25-07-2004, 03:01 PM
"The Intel® Pentium® M Processor, in conjunction with the Intel® 855 chipset family and the Intel® PRO/Wireless Network Connection, is a key component of Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology"

e.g. Centrino is the chipset technology reference.

Pentium M is the CPU used in the overall Centrino technology solution.

jabba
25-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks,
Is there another brand that would be equal or better to this machine but around the same price? I looked at pricespy and QMB have a
L4800r that's slightly cheaper, is the same machine? Would it be better to stay with DSE for after sales service? Also would it be better to upgrade memory to 512mb at time of buying it or wait a while until i have dollars to spend and go to 1gb?

metla
25-07-2004, 03:23 PM
ASUS would be my brand of choice,but then i own one (and sell them) so im biased to hell and back.

The after sales service is handled by ASUS,DSE have nothinbg to do with it....which imo is a good thing,DSE are salesmen,they are experts on selling not on computers.

But again,Im so biased on the matter that i can smell the hellfire.

jabba
25-07-2004, 03:30 PM
So would you say the same about QMB? Sales persons or experts?
If you sell them, what would you recommend? Any advice on the memory question?

metla
25-07-2004, 03:52 PM
I would put any computer store over DSE,but as i said im biased and have issues about appliance stores selling computers.

If i sell them what would i recomend?.....i recomend purchasing a unit that fits your needs and budget,in this case i would suggest talking to a computer store who knows the difference.

As to the ram issue?.....I have no idea,you need to get a price from who ever you purchase it from and make a desicion.

----
25-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I also just bought an asus a2500h p4 2.8ghz 60gig hd DVD rw.
I hope it is the best buy under $3000. So far I am delighted with it after running a 7 year old PC until I couldn't stand its tantrums any longer.
What does the A5000 have under the bonnet for $2700?

----
25-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Sorry, l4500rh.
I believe that the Pentium M(Mobile) processor was specifically developed for Laptops. I am sure that someone who knows more than me will correct me if I am wrong.

Graham L
25-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Quite correct, "rob clark" . Not robo? It has the power-saving capability. It is "part of the Centrino system". But having a Pentium M processor doesn't make it a Centrino computer. A Centrino includes the wireless network hardware. Which costs more. :D

jabba
25-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Metla...Fair comments
Your quite correct about getting the correct machine for my needs, this machine does suit my needs. I was just asking about other brands that might be just as good or better.

To the person with ---- as there name... follows this link to the machine
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4102bfc70e1299a6273fc0a87f990722/Product/View/XC3447

jabba
27-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Well, i have bought this laptop. It is a very nice machine...so far as i have had for one day. Thanks all for your comments.