PDA

View Full Version : Software Piracy

Annanz
25-07-2004, 01:20 PM
How can you to detect pirate Symantec software. Recently bought some Symantec software of Trademe. Is there anywhere of testing to see if is pirated??? Like Labeling etc.

drcspy
25-07-2004, 02:29 PM
simple enuf.........try registering it with symantec

kiki
25-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Does the underside of the CD have burn marks?

Annanz
25-07-2004, 02:46 PM
It does register at symantec... But you didn't need serial key. Not to sure what you mean by the underside have burn marks. Even my backups don't have burn marks so I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

kiki
25-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Well compare one of your cd-rs to a music cd you purchased from a store and compare those two with the Symantec cd. Can you notice lines on it, that would be caused by a cd-burner. A stamped disk won't have those lines.

godfather
25-07-2004, 04:07 PM
"burn marks"?
A home recorded CD can usually be distinguished from a commercially pressed CD. Thats what is probably being referred to.

A commercially pressed CD has the data side all one colour, and usually silver. Sometimes you can *just* make out the extent of the data pattern, if it does not cover the full CD. Data is recorded from the inside of the CD, outwards.

On a home burnt CD, the data is contained in a dye that changes colour when "burnt" with the data.
If the CD is not completely full its quite easy to see the difference in colour where the data stops and the unburnt dye remains.

So, its easy usually to tell the difference between a home produced CD and a commercially pressed CD. Doesn't stop the pirate manufacturers using a large volume pressed CD process I guess, and that probably happens overseas.