PDA

View Full Version : Win98 Boot Disk Not Working plus...

metatter
25-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I am trying to re-image a HP Brio PIII450 with a Ghost 2001 image (Win98SE) as the original Restore CD is missing. I have used this procedure before on another of my PCs but having trouble booting this one up.

I firstly tried booting up with a Win98 Startup disk but system hung after "Verifying DMI Pool Data....". I then restarted to "MS Dos" from Windows to ensure CD support then loaded GhostPE from my Ghost Boot disk but it only got 20% through loading image before getting an error message saying that it found an invalid "Command.com" file.

Because the load had started, I now do not have any operating system at all and cannot even get a command prompt (cannot F8 to get menu). Before this, I verified that I could read both the Win98 Startup and Ghost disks.

I have even tried a supposedly "Bootable" Win98 CD but that doesn't work either.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I tend to think that it os something with HP's image that won't allow startup from another source but I could just be paranoid.

Thanks

Pheonix
25-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Chances are that all the formatting has gone.
Try booting up on a Win98 bootdisk floppy, and try fdisk /mbr , then(just) fdisk , to set up the hard drive. Restart PC and format c:

As for booting off the CD, have you set up the boot priority to CDROM first, in the BIOS?

metatter
25-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Pheonix.

As I mentioned, the Win98 bootdisk will not load, it hangs the PC after "Verifying the DMI Pool Data" so I can't get a command prompt to try out your suggestions.

The CD was second in line to boot from, have changed it to first but no change. (Beginning to think I should drop-kick' it).

My next thought is to install HD onto another PC, format and load ghost image onto from there, if there are no other suggestions that will save me from doing this.

Cheers

Pheonix
25-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Sounds really strange. Sometimes it is advisable to make the floppy from the PC concerned, as I have found that alignments seem to differ. This makes the disk unreadable in other machines, or unable to access some files with others.
I think your idea of moving the hard drive is going to be easiest in the longrun.

Graham L
25-07-2004, 03:45 PM
"... the formatting all gone ..." :_|

If the disk format is corrupted, you can't even start loading files from a CD. Formatting the disk probably won't hurt, but it won't fix this problem.

HP do some strange things, and have (in some models) added odd files of their own which get loaded with Windows, and don't like non-HP hardware.

Was the Ghost Image made on this machine? Might it be a bad CD? :-(

metatter
25-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks Graham - I make sense of what you mean about formatting in that it probably still won't recognise the bootdisk or bootcd as it will still have a HP 'force' still around somewhere.
Do you not think that if I reformat while attached to another PC and then reimage with Ghost image, I will get around the problem?

Graham L
25-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Having another look at your first posting, I would first test the memory. What's happening looks very much like flakey memory. MemoryTest86 seems to be the most recommended tester.

HP's tricks shouldn't stop booting from a floppy, or reading from a CD. Bad memory can certainly give odd error messages when trying to decompress files.

metatter
25-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Cannot test memory as PC won't boot at all and none of my other PCs run PC133 SDRAM so I can't swap. Machine was working alright until I tried to reimage (PC is surplus and is to be sold, hopefully with clean install).

POST confirms all memory present and accounted for.

Hammer looking very tempting at this time...

metatter
25-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys - I've had a ring around and managed to find someone who had a HP Brio as well and I have borrowed the restore CDs and everything is progessing well now.
Turns out to be just a HP thing that wouldn't read non HP boot disks - b**tards!!

Cheers