PDA

View Full Version : stuffed bios or something

agent_24
25-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Recently after updating my bios, the system will show the post (but won't initialise the floppy, but seems ok with the CD drives) then if i let it continue (or if i press del) it will go to a blank screen with flashing cursor at top left, and the harddrive light constantly on.

anyone got any ideas??

:_| :_| :_| :_|

Lohsing
25-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Do you have a dual bios to flash back?

godfather
25-07-2004, 11:28 AM
There is only about a 95% chance of a successful BIOS flash, and a corrupt BIOS can mean the motherboard is toast (particularly if the BIOS is soldered in).

While many advocate flashing the BIOS for any reason, its only to be done if *absolutely necessary* in reality as its a risky operation.

As your FDD is no longer accessible it suggests your problem is now a bit severe as you cannot re-flash. Can the motherboard maker supply a replacement chip? Is it soldered in? (in that case forget the replacement)

I wonder if you can reflash using the CD? Will it boot from the CD?

agent_24
25-07-2004, 11:34 AM
not sure if it will boot from CD.

i will try it

agent_24
25-07-2004, 11:42 AM
no, it doesnt work

its rather strange because it beeps once and seems to complete post fine but when it gets to where it would normally have the "system configuration" and "pci device listing" (theres probbly a better name for it but anyway) it just hangs with the flashing cursor.

but what is so bad about the bios chip being soldered in?

godfather
25-07-2004, 11:59 AM
If the BIOS chip is in a socket it can be unplugged and reflashed externally by someone that has an EPROM programmer (and access to a copy of the BIOS code).

If its a soldered in SMD, its not really serviceable.
Older DIL soldered in chips may be unsolderable and able to be used in an external programmer, but unlikely with SMD high density ones.

agent_24
25-07-2004, 12:18 PM
it doesnt look very high density - the pins have about a 1mm gap between each one (as apposed to 0.1 with everything else)

agent_24
25-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Hello everyone!!!!

I think its is fixed now!!

i noticed that when it was doing its posting the CPU was being displayed as 600mhz (its actually 900mhz)

so i changed the jumpers on the mobo to use manual CPU speed instead of auto and now it managed to load windows

YaY

I hope it will continue to work

:) :) :) :) :) :)