PDA

View Full Version : Double up on OS

imonsta
25-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi all,
Got a small problem in that my flatmate has some how installed XP over the top of XP. He was reinstalling XP, which he said went along fine, but now he has to pick an OS at boot up everytime. Does Windows use the same system files for each or are they double up on his disk? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

mikebartnz
25-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Greatings new user.
Sounds like it is a double up as you are getting the choice. If you open up Explorer (not IE) you will see the the original install in a folder like this C:\Windows and the second install probably like this C:\Windows001 . I haven't seen WinXP with a second install on it so am not sure of it's naming conventions.
I'm not too sure on this so wait until someone else has a say but you can probably get rid of it by first editing the C:\boot.ini file to remove the second choice and then deleting the second folder. You can deffinately get rid of the second choice by editing the boot.ini file.

mikebartnz
25-07-2004, 12:17 PM
If they were reinstalling XP to solve a problem you will need to do another reinstall but use the original folder.