PDA

View Full Version : permissions

mukiduk
25-07-2004, 08:50 AM
How do I set permissions in Linux mandrake 9.1. Preferrably using the GUI interface. I want to be able to open any directory on my computer without having to type a password everytime as I have not set any password for root
when I installed it.

tweak\'e
25-07-2004, 09:55 AM
wouldn't that defeat the whole point of linux ????

i thought the installer wouldn't install mandrake without a password. easist way if your just testing it is to log in as root on startup.

dudess_on_a_mish
25-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Permissions are changed by using the chmod command. Do a search on Google as there is heaps of info about it, or have a look at man chmod in Linux.

It is not a good idea to login as root as one slip of the finger can cause an awful lot of grief.

Jen C
25-07-2004, 12:39 PM
As tweak'e says, why bother running Linux if you wish to undermine its security just so that you can open all directories as a user. This is also why you should never use the root account as your everyday account. Changing the permission on directories removes the protection that it provides - an excellent way to hose your system. You can change the permission on certain folders within directories if this is required for the application to run as user (this shouldn't occur if you install into the standard directory paths).

If you didn't make a password for root during the install (and I am not sure how you managed that), then you should do this now.

The best way of accessing secure directories/files, is to use the File Manager - Super User Mode. You just enter in roots password and then you are free to access and modify any directory/file using that GUI window manager whilst still logged into your KDE or Gnome under your user account.

Graham L
25-07-2004, 03:55 PM
About the only files I have ever bothered to change permissions on in Linux are the ones in /var/log. I often want to see what is happening. Even that is easier handled by giving the directory ownership "root:wheel" and permissions "750" and giving the user account membership of the wheel group.

The default permissions are carefully thought out, and should almost never be changed to get around perceived problems. "sudo", and "su" are so easy to use (and the GUI setup utilities ask for the root password when they need privilege) that there's no reason to.

This is like people in Windows giving all users Administrator privilege so they can play games (!), then wondering why the system is unstable. :D

mukiduk
27-07-2004, 03:26 AM
Thanks everybody for your advice. As I am the only person using this computer at home, I do not want to have to worry about logging in everytime. That is one of the reasons I do not want to go to Windows XP. I have been happily using windows 98 for years without having any password and that worked fine. I can open any file and see what is inside, even system files.
When I installed mandrake this time, I just bypassed the password when it asked for it and I can log in as root using the Konsole but would like to do it using the gui.

Greg S
27-07-2004, 08:29 AM
> I do not want to
> have to worry about logging in everytime. That is one
> of the reasons I do not want to go to Windows XP.

XP doesn't require a password to log in

Chilling_Silence
27-07-2004, 10:12 AM
su -
[press enter for root password]
passwd
[enter new root password]
[re-enter password]

You can now login as root via the GUI which IIRC mandrake disables blank-password logins by default.

If su - doesnt work, then try sudo bash.

Chill.

mukiduk
29-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I realize that, Greg, but you have to make sure you do not set a password when you install XP.

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Ive simply used Tweak XP Pro 3 to automatically log in a user-of-choice (Who has a password I might add).

This of course defeats security - if your house were to be broken in to in the night, the theif would have access to all your data and be able to:
A. Send emails as you
B. Run up usage on your ISP account
C. Read any / all confidential data you have on the PC.

...Personally I dislike lax security.....