PDA

View Full Version : Shared Adsl Help Required

Craig
24-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I am trying to set up a shared adsl connection over two XP computers using a Unicom Micro-switch/5 Switch and a DSE adsl modem. I have absolutely no idea how this is done. Could you please guide me through it?

stu120404
24-07-2004, 08:49 PM
> I am trying to set up a shared adsl connection over
> two XP computers

Are the two XP computers networked together?

Craig
24-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Yes via the switch

tweak\'e
24-07-2004, 09:15 PM
what sort of adsl modem? internal, usb or ethernet ?

if usb or internal you will need to enable ICS or use a proxy. also check your firewall will work with ICS as very few free ones do.

Megaman
24-07-2004, 09:17 PM
> > I am trying to set up a shared adsl connection
> over
> > two XP computers
>
> Are the two XP computers networked together?

well he goes on to say he has a switch and router...

what I would to is go to "Network connections", select " Network Setup Wizard" and when it asks what type of network select "other", and "This computer connects to the internet throush a hub". It will throw up a warning about "No safe way to protect from the internet". Ignore that, your router should have at least a basic firewall in it. From there you can choose a Network name, and computer name. It will finish up, and ask if you want to put the wizard on a floppy for other computers. Since both computers are running XP and as such both have the wizard click no. It should work, and if not, post back here.

If one of your computers connects directly to the net, and you want to share the connection, when choosing the type of network, for the computer that commects choose "Thes computer connects to the Internet, and other computers will connect through this". For the other, select " This computer connects to the internet through another computer".

Big John
24-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Plug the ADSL line into the modem.
Plug the modem into the switch.
Plug the other PC's into the switch.

Find out what the default IP address is for the modem. It will likely be 192.168.0.1 or something in the range.
Set the 2 PC's to addresses in the same range. ie 192.168.0.x where x is different for each one.
Set the 2 PC's default gateway to that of the modem. Set the DNS for whatever your ISP gave you.

And you should be away. No need to either PC to connect. They connect when required. I assume you have set up the modem right which is a whole other topic in itself.

tweak\'e
24-07-2004, 10:27 PM
you guys stolen godfathers crystal ball ??? how do you know they have an adsl router as it wasn't mentioned ????

tommy
24-07-2004, 10:39 PM
> how do you know they have an adsl router as it wasn't mentioned ????

I think you will find that it was:

"I am trying to set up a shared adsl connection over two XP computers using a Unicom Micro-switch/5 Switch and a DSE adsl modem."

tommy
24-07-2004, 10:40 PM
> > how do you know they have an adsl router

I beg your pardon, you mentioned adsl router, not modem.

Wilky
25-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Just remember, NAT is the most important thing. Hell if I know what it does, but if it isn't enabled your computer's can't access the net. I found this out yesterday when it would resolve the DNS but not access the net.