PDA

View Full Version : computer password

effie C
24-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi,
Can somebody tell where to obtain the administrator's computer password in my XP.
I am trying to locate a missing file of the install CD but I have run agound
I see one in adminstration but when I insert it, it says "invalid passsword"
this is for when I boot off the CD and go to repair files, which I am informed may negate the need for a complete re install
effie c

Murray P
24-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Snakefoot's Install-Repair (http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/install.html), sroll down to item 17 and beyond. You might want to check out slipstreaming service packs with win 2k & XP as well.

Did you check out the possible trojan issue? What you are doing may be all for nothing if you haven't. Then again it may have nothing to do with your issue but, fore armed is fore warned ;)

Cheers Murray P

effie C
24-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi M P - yes I did - I downloaded specific trojan horse software- installed it and ran it - not a thing in many thousands of files etc- so that suggests my Ad Aware /Spybot? etc are already going their thing- thanks again
I started a new string cos I thought you might not see the second query - so thanks for answering that too.
It appears that the corruption/loss of that file is very common judging by the queries in one of your sites and the files have to be in XP anyway.
I then tried to use my CD but ran into this password query and I hope the site I am at this moment printing out will answer that problem
effie c