PDA

View Full Version : internet

tosh
24-07-2004, 05:27 PM
what methods can i use to connect a second comp to the net,i have a second line for the first comp,2nd comp to far away for cable
what options do i have ??

drcspy
24-07-2004, 06:00 PM
wireless network and internet connection sharing or some type of proxy program probably ?

rugila
24-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Use wireless.

If you set it up fine it works fine.

There's at least a couple of ways you can connect to the internet with one computer using the internet connection of your other computer.

With wireless the 2 machines don't need to be physically connected or cable connected, you can have them a fair distance apart. The maximum distance between them depends on the quality of the wireless signal and interference etc between them.

Murray P
24-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Call me old fashioned but I still prefer to have a physical network connection between the computers. As rugila says if its set up fine it works fine most times but, it's still a fairly immature technology and is prone to inexplicable problems.

What's the distance between the two computers in metres, do you have a timber floor with some sort of access (there are ways around lack of crawl space) or some handy cupboards or wardrobes?

Apart from that the best way to connect is with an ethernet router and switch or multi port router to act as your gateway and forget about MS ICS (MS Internet Connection Sharing. Ethernet as opposed to USB. Wireless will need a router/access point)

Cheers Murray P

rugila
24-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I really enjoy my wireless network and wouldn't like to be without it.

Another option is I suppose to use the adaptors that connect computer-to-computer through your house's electrical wiring. I haven't checked those out although Dick Smith seems to currently sell them.

I assume it's only the earth wire that's used since there'd be too much interference on the phase and neutral, but maybe they've got around that.

However, I don't think that's currently a very cheap option.

Right now I'm sitting in front of fire in warm family lounge, laptop on lap, connected wirelessly to internet through another computer in my cold dark office up other end of house about 25metres away.

Using VNC I can do stuff on both computers at once. Can even print on printer in another part of the house, using a 3rd machine I put together out of some old parts and a couple new ones to act as a wireless print server since I got so disgusted with the limitations and costs of the commercial wireless print servers.

Onto 3rd machine I yesterday put in a 160Gb HDD so it's a backup storage as well as a print server. My backup problems are (again wirelessly, although I have a long USB cable if I need more speed, which I usually don't) taken care of for quite some time.

All connected by wireless. No crawling around dusty cupboards and grotty crawl space for me, nor limitations (apart from signal strength) on being able to access anything with my laptop from wherever I like.

Isn't life good?

mikebartnz
25-07-2004, 12:19 AM
>up other end of house about 25metres away.
I lived in an old house like that and almost got my old bike out of storage to ride up and down the hallway. Certainly wasn't the warmest house to live in.

rugila
25-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Maybe 20 metres in a strgt line.
About 25 around hallway etc.
House about 13yrs old, not that cold usually. Above the frostline xcept about 2x per year. Really very warm and sunny for the most part.
Just on some cold winter evenings a good fire is suitably hedonistic.
Main problem is altho I have a small extension aerial, in this house even the 20-25m on occasion prodices a very marginal signal.
Can't be bothered/can't afford to invest in a booster or relay in the meantime. Tried using a Linksys router for that as access point. Made things better in some ways over the ad hoc setup - in some ways worse.