PDA

View Full Version : pagefile.sys hiberfile.sys

Steve_L
24-07-2004, 05:08 PM
What is the purpose of 'pagefile.sys' and why is it so large?

Is 'hiberfile.sys' used in hibernation, and if so, then why is it so big when my PC is not hibernating?

Each of the above is in excess of 1 Gb in size.

Thanks.

godfather
24-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Pagefile is the Windows Virtual Memory file that it uses to page to and from the HDD as it caches all the data that will not fit into RAM.

It can be large as you mention.
It must remain, it changes size dynamically if Windows manages the process.

Hiberfile is the file used by Windows when hibernating to store the contents of RAM in. It can be deleted, but turn hibernation off in Control Panel - Power Options.

mikebartnz
24-07-2004, 10:09 PM
How much memory do you have because that is a rather large swap file. I have 512MB and have set up a permanent swap file on a seperate drive with a min of 512 and max of 768 and I've never had a problem. Too large a swap file and Windows is spending too much time using it.
I see you come from the Wairarapa. :D

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Hello Mike. Yep, I'm here in sunny and warm Wairarapa! :D I wonder if we have met, around 5 years ago back in the days of Winz ISP?

I have a Gig of Ram so maybe this is why page and hiberfiles are so large. New PC and very happy with it - fast, two large HDs and I like XP even though it is MS.

My question about the page/hiberfiles is actually related to Norton Ghost. I noticed that I needed over 5 Gb for a Ghost restore, so expected to use more than one DVD. Seems though that one DVD has all files so perhaps Ghost skips hiber/pagefile.sys's.

drcspy
25-07-2004, 10:05 AM
nah ghost .......depending on what options you choose will compress info so that you get about 1.1Gb on a 650Mb cdrom so that's why your ghost image is smaller than the actual size of the hdd most likely

mikebartnz
25-07-2004, 11:46 AM
>warm Wairarapa!
Not very warm at the moment. B-)
> I wonder if we have met, around 5 years ago back in the days of Winz ISP?
I started out with Contact ( the best ISP I ever had until they sold to Winz ) when SilconBlue owned it. That would almost be 5 years ago.
Used to ride a Z1 Kawi in the mid seventies.

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Yes - I meant Contact, not Winz. That was my first ISP here in the Wairarapa metropolis city. I liked the off-hours low rate that they used to have since my painfully slow 386 laptop could download then. I forget his name, but the BIG guy that had a microlight - I think you may have come over to my house one time. Flick an email to me if you want:
mac malady [at] yahoo co nz No spaces, of course. Anyway, this chat is not really PF1 approved, so I guess we will end it here unless page/hiberfile sys's come back to life.

drb1
05-08-2004, 09:20 AM
page file is a shadow/ghost file, when o/s is down it has no contents (so no vol when copied). Some configuration's can require large page files and you must maintain the free disk space to run them, mine in xp is 3702mb, shop tech set it that way when trying to stop the tvcard dvd cd-burner and zip scrapping.