PDA

View Full Version : Firefox - "Click here to get plugins" window ??

pulling hair out
24-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi,
Am using Firefox 9.2, winXP pro.
Just clinked a link from previous post re: test patterns for testing monitor brightness etc.

The first page came up where you could choose which test pattern OK.

But once I clicked on test to try, a blank screen came up with a small window containing the following:
An icon: showing a page with bent top corner and a blue blob pic on it.
Writing was: "Click here to get plugins".

Is this Firefox telling me to get a plugin to view the page or is it the site?
Have come across it before on the net, but chose to leave the site rather than get into territory I was unsure of.

What plugin is necessary to view these screens?

regards, Marg

tommy
24-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Firefox is telling you it needs a plugin to view the webpage. The plugin in this case is Java by SunMicrosystems.
If you would rather not download the plugin just use Internet Explorer to view the page and do the tests.

pulling hair out
24-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi tommy

Thanks for replying.
In Options>Web Features, I had ticked the checkboxes to enable Java and to enable Java script, and in the advanced Java script section had ticked all the checkboxes as well.

If it is already enabled, why does Firefox want me to add the plugin?
Are there many kinds of Java? Haven't a clue what it is about. Have gone through Firefox Faqs re: Firefox and Windows.

I don't mind installing the plugin, just wasn't sure.
I really love Windows and will never change, but IE was getting too scary re viruses etc, so changed to Firefox which is a great program.

Regards Marg.

bmason
24-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Despite the name Javascript and java are completely different (its all netscapes fault). The plugin problem is unrelated to Javascript, which is part of the browser.

Java is not part of firefox so you will need to install it separately. The "enable java" option just controls wether it is allowed to run once it is installed.

pulling hair out
24-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Hi

Thought I could just go back to that page, wait till the plugin window appeared and get the plugin from there.

Ending up denying miles of cookies, and into lots of different screens, not sure what to do with the downloaded programs and generally stuffed around.

Will have to just keep using IE for some things. Not in the mood to go to all that trouble for a stupid download.

What happened to the simple life?

Have downloaded Susan B's AZZ Cardfile , and guess what the first set is going to be named.......Sites that really piss me off!!!!....... X-(

Now I've had my "*****" I feel a lot better.... :D

Marg.