PDA

View Full Version : hyper threading

gtr676
24-07-2004, 02:34 PM
I have just bought a new Packard Bell iXtreme P830 with Pentium IV 3.2 GHz with, wait for it its.........."Hyper Threading"

just what is "Hyper Threading"? and how does it affect the computer if for instance you didnt have it, what then.?

thanks......I am just more than a bit curious on this one.

Gary

metla
24-07-2004, 02:39 PM
If you do a search of this forum you will find a thread where its discussed at length.

But it basiccly is a fancy name for optimisations to improve the performance of a badly designed cpu.

Well,thats a little harsh..........lmao.

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Hyperthreading IMO is highly over-rated.

Your CPU basically tries to act as two CPU's, but in reality there's still only XYZ Ghz of grunt in that PC. The performance is not noticable for the average Joe, and performance results are varied depending on the application (Yes, sometimes it has a negative effect).

Again, search the forum

Chill.

andrew93
24-07-2004, 04:51 PM
not sure if I agree with metla and chill on this one - speaking from experience I have found the HT chip to be really good at multi-tasking when compared to non-HT P4 processors, but you have to have the RAM in matched pairs for it to work correctly - for more info see here (http://www.intel.com/techtrends/technologies/hyperthreading.htm)

drcspy
24-07-2004, 05:58 PM
since i have a HT 2.4Ghz C P4 I'd have to agree that it's better at multitasking without a doubt

Steve_L
24-07-2004, 06:14 PM
>>>it's better at multitasking without a doubt

Also agree. HT is here to stay. Enter "hyperthreading advantages disadvantages P4" into Google and read the reviews.

metla
24-07-2004, 06:30 PM
HT is here to stay?

Im afraid not,its an optimisation to address an area that the p4 performs poorly in,and seeing as the p4 is a dead line then HT as its now known will die with it.

Lohsing
24-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Isn't the next big thing the dual core CPU's from Intel? And haven't AMD come up with something which is similar to Hyperthreading?

Lo.

metla
24-07-2004, 07:22 PM
No,The next big thing after the current big thing(64-bit amd cpu's) are dual core cpu's from AMD.

whoa.....my bias is showing again.

As to AMD having something similar to HT?,they have a feature called HT but its releated to how they comunicate to the new PCI slots(i think,i could look it up but wheres the fun in that?),other then that AMD have always optimised their CPU's for maximum output,which is all Intel Hyperthreading is anyway.....except Intel are clever enough to use it as a marketing tool.

metla
24-07-2004, 07:24 PM
HyperTransport-to-PCI bridge

Fremont, Calif. The SP1011 interfaces HyperTransport-enabled processors to PCI-based components. This bridge supports 64-b/66 MHz PCI operations and implements two bi-directional 8-b HyperTransport interfaces that provide 800-Mbyte/s of bandwidth in each direction. Up to three bridges can be daisy-chained to build higher capacity systems with multiple PCI buses and HyperTransport-based peripherals.

gtr676
25-07-2004, 09:42 PM
many thanks to you all, some very interesting information, thats helped me alot, for a minite I thought that maby I had bought a lemon? but Im now satisfied, Ive got 512 MB ram and things go alomg extremely well.

thanks again to you all.

Gary

metla
25-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Nope,No lemon,The p4 is well worth owning.

JJJJJ
25-07-2004, 09:54 PM
My comp has been hyperthreading for the past six or so months. In my opinion it is just a bit of a joke. It probably depends on how hard you make the machine work.
Jack

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Tivia: one review that I read (Tom's Hardware or similar) said that there are so many changes to the 3G Prescott HT that MS seriously considered calling it the P5.