PDA

View Full Version : Edit .jpg files on opening

CharlieBoy
24-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Prior to a recent re-install of 98SE and Office 2000, any time I opened a .jpg file it opened with menus that allowed editing such as adjusting brightness, contrast etc. Now those menus do not show when I open a picture. Do I need to change the "open with" options or "associate with" options for .jpgs or something? I see referneces to MS Photo Editor in previous topics, but can find no reference to it in my help files. What do I need to do so that when I open a picture, I have the editing menus/options available?

metla
24-07-2004, 02:26 PM
You need to remember what program was displaying the pics,I personally can't hazard a guess from your description.

KatiMike
24-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Greetings , GF recomended the following freebie for Jpegs , and I've found it works a treat - maybe an option if you can't remember/ find the prior application you used

http://www.irfanview.com/

Hope that may help :)

CharlieBoy
25-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks metla and KatiMike. I've downloaded Irfan, but it does not give the option of chagning brightness or contrast etc. I don't think the application I used to have was a separate application, and have the impression that it was part of Win98SE or Office 2000. lol that doesn't mean that i'm right about that

Bazza
25-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Charlieboy: Irfanview does have the option to change brightness & contrast. And much more.

Open an image, goto view/ enhance colours. You will see options to change RGB colours + brightness, contrast & gamma.

Many other options are very useful, so it's worth looking further.

Bazza
25-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Correction, sorry.. It should read: goto image/enhance colours etc.

CharlieBoy
26-07-2004, 04:23 PM
My apologies Bazza You're right lol I didn't llook far enough in Irfanview. Thanks for the help everyone. But still wish I new which feature or application I used to have

Rob99
27-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Was it the Kodak image thing? sorry I cant remember, but I know it comes with Win98se.

KatiMike
27-07-2004, 02:15 AM
excellent thought Rob99 - I remember seeing that as an option in the "open with" field in win98se - I had to use it once when Quicktime took over all the image associations on a win 98se 'puter .
From memory it was pants and Irfan was heaps better ... just my memory ... ;)

Rob99
27-07-2004, 03:35 AM
Yeah Irfan View is the way to go with Win98, it is such a powerful little program.

Rob

andrew93
27-07-2004, 09:52 AM
after mucking around with plenty of uselessware, yes I agree IrfanView is pretty darn good for freeware - even with later versions of Windows

CharlieBoy
05-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for your help. It was indeed the "Kodak Imaging thing". However, after going back to it, I agree that irfanview is the way to go.
Now I'll look around to find out how to close/stop discussion on this topic so tht others don't rack their brains trying to sort out aproblem that is already sorted. lol.
Thank you all again