PDA

View Full Version : More problems with Norton's Ghost

Steve_L
24-07-2004, 11:43 AM
If, God forbid, my PC ever crashes big time or gets a nasty virus, I would like to have Ghost DVD(s) so that I can restore everything back to what it was. So now I am trying to make DVDs with Norton's Ghost on them to bring a corrupted HD back to the OS, programs and data.

Over a year ago I made a similar post, when I had my old Win98 PC. Now I have a new WinXP PC and the 2003 PF1 info (thanks mainly to Jen C - are you still here Jen?) does not seem to apply.

How do I make a bootable DVD(s) using Ghost? ?:|

Do I make a "Disaster Recovery Disk"?
Should I use Norton Ghost Boot Wizard? If so, should I choose "Standard Ghost Boot Disk" with "No USB Support"? If so, then what about the MS-DOS boot disk??....I have tried that but it will not work, I assume because my PC is WinXP and not 98 or 95 - correct?

Or do I choose "Clone" or "Virtual Partition"?

Using the 'Ghost Basic' tab, and then 'Backup' and then the Wizard, I have tried twice to make DVDs for restoring the system, but when running the 'Integrity Check' the DVDs fail......and besides, over 5 Gb of space is required and never does it ask me to insert a second DVD or CD but instead just ejects the DVD (containing .gho image files - but no .exe file).

I have run the tutorial, which was smooth and pleasant to view but has not helped. X-(

Thanks - Steve

Jen C
24-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi Steve,

Have you checked with Symantec that your DVD writer is supported by your Ghost version? My newish CD-RW isn't and went through the motions of making a Ghost Image only to turn the discs into coasters.

Steve_L
24-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Hello Jen! Glad you are here for me again. :8}
Ok, I have had a look at the Symantec site and my DVD writer is not on the list - but this does not necessarily mean that it will not work (according to the info there). And besides, the DVDs that I have made do in fact have .gho files on them, so I believe that Ghost cam put data onto my DVDs.

There are instructions on the Symatec page explaining how non compatible DVD writers can still be used, e.g. by first putting .gho files onto the HD (I have two big HDs so have plenty of room for this if necessary).

Now what? Jen if you prefer, I can ring you and get this solved over the phone, or vice-versa; here is an email address you can use:

mac malady [at] yahoo co nz

...with no spaces and you know where the dots go and the @ .
Let me know if you send an email since I do not check this account too often. Thanks.

But if you want to coninue here on PF1, then ok with me. :) Just thought it would save you time. Thanks -- Steve

Steve_L
24-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Jen - from the Symantec page:

>>During the Ghost image creation procedure, follow these steps to configure Ghost to create a bootable CD:
Click 'Yes' when prompted to make the disk bootable.
If prompted, insert a floppy disk that has the appropriate CD-R/RW drivers. For Norton Ghost 2003, the floppy boot disk is not necessary because the boot system files are stored in the Virtual Boot Partition.

I have NGhost 2003, so I see that I do not have to make a boot disk, but I wonder just what the "Virtual Boot Partition" is, and where it is located?

Jen C
24-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi Steve :)

Well I am afraid I won't be able to provide you with much help this time, firstly because I don't have a DVD drive so have never burnt images to DVD ... and secondly, I rarely use Windows now so the last time I used Ghost was some time ago.

If you cannot create bootable DVD's, then I would do as they suggest and save the .gho to a separate partition and then burn it to DVD following their instructions. You will need to make a boot floppy disk then for Ghost so that can access this saved image on your DVD.

Hopefully someone else can provide further help if you require this. :)

Steve_L
24-07-2004, 04:33 PM
OK Jen. Thanks for trying.

Making a bootable floppy does not seem to be necessary or even possible with WinXP. Maybe I should check if my PC can access a bootable CD/DVD - as you explained last year. ?:|

>>>Anyone else on PF1 who can help?

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 08:35 AM
[Bumping this up, hoping for a kind soul to help.]

The problem may not be so difficult. If you use Norton Ghost, all I need to know is how to get it to boot using a DVD of .gho files - on WinXP.

Jen C
25-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi again Steve,

You should be able to make a Ghost boot floppy for XP using the boot disk wizard. If you have copied the .gho to the DVD manually, it will not be bootable so you will need the Ghost boot floppy to boot from and then to point ghost.exe at your DVD drive for the files on the DVD's.

>Maybe I should check if my PC can access a bootable CD/DVD - as you explained last year.

Well you can check this out, but if Ghost is making DVD coasters of your disks they still won't be bootable. In the BIOS make sure the boot order is set to:
1. Floppy
2. CD-ROM/DVD
2. HD0 (hard drive)

Billy T
25-07-2004, 01:16 PM
> never does it ask me to insert
> a second DVD or CD but instead just ejects the DVD
> (containing .gho image files - but no .exe file).

You could use Ghost Explorer to at least see if you have a viable gho file on the DVD steve. It won't solve your immediate problem but at least you will know if you are burining absolute coasters or just non-bootable disks with partial image files recorded.

I can't help with the other problems as I always back up to separate HDDs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Billy and Jen - no, they are not coasters but actual .gho files on them; I checked the files using Ghost and could see that the data was there OK.

Jen, the problem with making a bootable floppy is that the Wizard states it can be done only with Win95 and 98. I tried formatting a floppy with my old 98 PC and putting in my new XP but Ghost would not have it.

[b]Someone here on PF1[\b] must be using Ghost with XP.

Meanwhile, I will go back to the program and see if it makes more sense today. Yesterday I read a number of Symantec web site Help pages but making bootable CD/DVD/floppies was not explained in a way that was of any good to me.

Scouse
25-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Hi Steve. I run XP PRO and Ghost 2003. Although I normally backup to a second disk, the wizard has just walked me through Ghost Utilities screen - Norton Ghost wizard screen - Standard Ghost Boot Disc screen - which supports CD/DVD. Created the disc no problem. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

Scouse
25-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh, and it works. Just shut down and booted in to PC Dos, ready to read.

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Hello Scouse - I also have Ghost 2003 and here is the sequence that I have used:

Ghost Basic / Backup Wizard / to DVD / etc. until this part:

"Disaster Recovery / ... use backup CD (DVD would be OK I assume but odd they do not state this) and use the DOS version of Ghost... for an integrity check."

The only way I could get the Ghost DOS to run an integrity check is to open up Ghost as per usual, in WinXP - - but this defeats the purpose of a Disaster Recovery. So what I am stuck on is how to get the DVD to automatically start Ghost DOS? When I shutdown and start up with the Ghosted DVD, Win XP starts as normal.

Did you make a floppy disk with the DOS bootable on it?

Thanks.

Scouse
25-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi again. "Did you make a floppy disk with the DOS bootable on it?" Yes. Ghost Utilities/ Norton Ghost Boot Wizard/ Standard Ghost Boot Disc/ Next/ Next/ Use PC Dos/ Next/ Next/ and then the floppy routine - recommendation for formatting it, etc. This creates its own small Dos world which cranks up as long as your start procedure checks in the floppy-CD-harddrive sequence.

Old Tom
25-07-2004, 07:41 PM
>>I can't help with the other problems as I always back up to separate >>HDDs.

As a newbie,it struck me as the most sensible way to do back ups and meant to ask F! if it was a good idea.Hard drives being cheap and all that;)

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Scouse - I will go back and try to make a bootable floppy, but when I tried on Saturday all I got was a notice that only Win95&98 would work. Will tell you if I had any success by following the path you gave. Thanks again.

Re: Backing up to a second HD. Well, I do have a second HD and could do this, but will it be bootable, or could it be used to put over the top of a newly installed WinXP (in the event of a main HD failure). ?:|

Steve_L
25-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Hello again Scouse.
I am having one of those 'Duh!' moments. X-( :^O

Just how I managed to miss seeing that button for PC-DOS, I do not know. Anyway, I followed your sequence and have made the floppy. Cannot reboot and try it with the DVD of .gho files because am now recording via TV capture. Will come back tomorrow morning with the likely good news that all is fine. Cheers - Steve

Steve_L
26-07-2004, 11:42 AM
:) Good news to report :)

With the floppy and DVD in place and reboot, Ghost DOS started and the integrity check ran with the DVD passing OK.

The only thing I am not sure about is what choices to make in the event of disaster recover, i.e. reinstalling after a corrupted system (and reformat). I had a look at the other choices on the DOS screen (other than running the Integrity Check) and it was not obvious what to do. I'll go back to the DOS and see if I can make sense of it, and post the options here if I need help.

Thanks again Scouse.