PDA

View Full Version : Printer Question

Poppa John
23-07-2004, 09:58 PM
We have 2 computers & 2 printers. Sigma (shopbuilt,)/XP & Dell/W98se. These were networked thro a modem. Now we are on Jetstream thro a Speedtouch router. Th Cannon printer is connected to the w98 & the Epson is connected to the XP. So far I can print the Epson from both computers, directly. So far I can only get the Canon to work from the Dell.. This last part I will yet solve to get it to work on the XP.

So my query is? At the moment it takes a long time for the "Message" to get from either computer to a printer.. On the router are two empty ports (?). Should I connect both printers to these two empty USB outlets? Would I get a faster response, to a "printing? Would both computers be able to use either printer at will? Thanks PJ

Misty
23-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi Poppa
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that it would work fine. Can't imagine it blowing up ! Why not try ? Am sure you will get more informed comment than mine though - probably g/f seconds behind (or in front !).
Misty :p

godfather
23-07-2004, 11:25 PM
PJ are you VERY SURE that the empty "ports" on the router are USB?

Cant imagine thats the case, they will be more likely Ethernet RJ45 network connectors, which the printers will not fit (or understand)?

dipstick01
24-07-2004, 09:34 AM
what model printer is the canon??
as an easy way for beginners (thats me) to network a single printer I often sold customers a canon printer with both parallel and USB ports. You can see the obvious way I had them connect up here and it made for a very simple but effective way of sharing a printer. If your canon won't run on the XP machine try updating the drivers from the canon website. That will quite often resolve canon conflicts.

Growly
24-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Oh no, it's very likely that those are USB ports - many routers these days are print servers, but I've never heard of a two port one....

If you do plug the printers into your router, if will almost certainly be faster. The only hassle is that you need to go to the router configuration (and perhaps the printer configuration) and allocate IP addresses.

Then, when installing them on the computers, you'll have to make a TCP/IP Port to connect to the printer on. (No longer will you select network printer, it will always be local printer attached through a port.)

Graham L
24-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Eh?

Unless the router includes a print server (or two) , it won't work. A router usually doesn't include a printer server. If it does, its parents will be proud of the fact, and say so somewhere. :D A print server is more than a physical connection ... it''s a host, which runs software to handle a protocol.

You can't just plug a printer into an Ethernet connector unless it has an Ethernet tranceiver/printserver and expect it to work. Some HP and other expensive printers are equipped as , or have addin cards or external boxes which make them into, network printers.

Try using a NetBIOS protocol. That might work better with W98.

Poppa John
24-07-2004, 07:23 PM
As godfather thought, the two spare ports were not USB, bet were RJ45.

I will stick to how things are I think, much safer than ME messing about in the "Beasts" innards. Maryann is nodding, so I had best leave wall alone. Thanks everybody. PJ :D :D

godfather
24-07-2004, 07:43 PM
See, the crystal ball does work occasionally.

Cheers PJ, keep warm!

Poppa John
24-07-2004, 07:51 PM
godfather: If you've taken off your sunglasses, please check your
personal emails. Maryanne says "hi". ;)

PJ