PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Computer Lounge

Lohsing
23-07-2004, 09:53 PM
This (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3579828&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=) article in the NZ Herald prompted me to think about what made Computer Lounge that much more different from other computer stores.

To be honest, I thought their concept was something which is being done successfully by other businesses in NZ, and I am surprised that the Herald is singling this particular company out.

Am I wrong to feel annoyed that one company gets all the spotlight without any reviews of other stores? Is it just me, or do their prices not include an OS of some description, hence increasing the cost even more?

The comment made in relation to flying down to visit a business client is surprising to me... a little more digging around would show that large corporations such as Dell would guarantee a service technician onsite by the next business day!

I guess it just makes me really wonder when the Herald writes an article such as this, as if to suggest that

a) this is some new idea which somehow separates this company from all other companies doing exactly the same thing

b) the notion of on-site service for business clients is somehow a new concept

and finally

c) Windows Media Center is somehow the next best thing since sliced bread...

I thought Microsoft had given up on that idea and were no longer interested in promoting Media Center PC's??

Anyway... just a gripe I have because after reading this article, I saw nothing which made me think that this company was somehow better or deserved more recognition than any other PC company doing the same thing (PC Gear, OCNZ, PC Alpha, to name just a few) ...

Am I being too critical?? ?:|

Discuss! :D

Lo.

andrew93
23-07-2004, 10:01 PM
> Am I being too critical?? ?:|

No, not at all.

This is not editorial, its advertorial. One of the guys in the article will know someone at the herald. You have quite correctly pointed out that this "news" is in no way "news".

Lohsing
23-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Good... for a second I thought the flu had gotten to my head on a Friday night and scrambled all logic for a second...

It's a shame that this article was the front page article... I usually enjoy reading what the Herald has to say about all sorts of gadgets.

Lo.