PDA

View Full Version : video card voltage

ferrite
23-07-2004, 09:27 PM
hi ive just installed an asus 9600xttvd video card ,with some card monitor software,i have a warning comming up saying irregular voltage.can anyone tell me what i need to do too fix this problem.i have a compaq 3180an xp home sorry havent got the mother brd info do i need that ??? cheers

chiefnz
24-07-2004, 01:58 PM
First of all let me just say that software (running in Windows) that is used for monitoring voltages has historically proven to be unreliable and ineffective.

I had the same problem when I installed my GeForce FX5200 card a while back (also an Asus card by the way) The software programme kept telling me that the voltage was beyond it's threshold and that there is a risk of damage to the card.

So I went ahead and yanked out the PSU and replaced it with a new one... lo and behold.... the same message came up. I had the PSU's (both of them) tested and there wasn't anything wrong with them.

My advice to you is uninstall the voltage monitoring software and forget about it. If you really want to check the voltages on the mobo, graphics cards etc... the best palce to do this is in the BIOS (should be under "POWER") depending on your mobo.

Incidently you will notice slight fluctuations in the voltage readings within the BIOS (usually between .10 and .15) it's nothing to worry about.

Hope that clears things up for you.

cheers

chiefnz

Murray P
24-07-2004, 02:07 PM
The monitor programmes take their info from the BIOS as far as I'm aware. I suspect it is some marketing ploy to make the software seem useful and therefore essential that it throws up alerts at the drop of a hat. There is probably some info on the range of voltage variable that the card can handle on the manufacturers site if you want to go digging.

Does the monitoring software have a check box where you can disable the voltage monitor alone without having to uninstall the whole thing?

Cheers Murray P

tweak\'e
24-07-2004, 10:09 PM
i havn't played with any vid card software that monitors voltage......however the first thing i would ask is what voltage is it reading ? if its motherboard input voltage then it could be simply accessing the bios and some bios are not exactly correct. otherwise it could be reading the voltage from a sensor on the video card. if its low the motherboard may be having problems delivering enough current to the card (crap motherboard).

ferrite
25-07-2004, 07:54 PM
thanx guys i didnt think i was going to get replys.you are all correct .im going to disable it .wich is a pitty because it has quite a nifty overclocking feacher oh well

ferrite
25-07-2004, 07:58 PM
cheers u just saved me from doing just that.it was my next step .pf1 can save u money hehehe